The current time is: 10/24/2017 5:37:28 AM
 The Military Media Room    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed
Posted on: 6/24/2017 2:21:37 PM
 Had not heard of this one. Airborne operations in southern France, 1944. I almost fell over when I saw a film mentioning Operation DRAGOON. A YouTube preview can be seen at

[Read More]

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Re: Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed
Posted on: 6/24/2017 5:02:32 PM
It's............. well..............ok I guess. We should be happy people are knocking out war movies like these Saints and Soldiers series.

We really need the Brits to put out some mini ones themselves. Bring on Dunkirk.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/9/2017 12:09:00 PM
Wazza,

 I've found I enjoy some of the shorts and films made with re-enactors. Good to see real German half-tracks once in a while! (The absence of which is odd, considering how the Czechoslovak Army kept the Sd.Kfz. 251 series in operation (called "OT-810") for decades after the war -- one thinks some of those would make it into a war movie.)

 I'd like to see more British work as well. One old Polish film I saw (a sort of comedy) follows a Polish soldier who evades after the 1939 campaign and ends up in a series of misadventures with various armed forces across Europe before he makes it back to Poland just in time to encounter advancing Red Army troops. (Since the film was made in communist times, that qualified as a "happy ending" ) The film was funny enough to watch even though I didn't understand a lot of the dialog. Great exploitation of stereotypes (Italian troops more interested in dinner than fighting, depictions of British officer:enlisted encounters, Germans tying their tongues trying to pronounce Polish names, etc.)

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/9/2017 12:31:49 PM
Does the movie deal at all with the amphibious landings association with Dragoon?

It seems to be a film about the airborne so maybe the director didn't have time to address the other parts of Operation Dragoon.

Just wondering because the 1st Special Service Force, under the command of 1st Airborne was involved in Dragoon. It was their last major mission before being disbanded.

But the 1st Special Service Force didn't jump. They went in somewhere by sea.

As well, thousands of French troops participated and if I'm not mistaken, they took heavy casualties to liberate the homeland.

It was a big operation.

Cheers,

George

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/9/2017 12:46:58 PM
 Not sure, I have only seen the preview. It mentions DRAGOON, but I doubt it looks at the landings.

Cheers

BW
---------------

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Posted on: 7/9/2017 1:02:09 PM
The 1st Airborne Task Force was a short-lived Allied Airborne unit that was active during World War II- created for Operation Dragoon–the invasion of Southern France.

Formed in July 1944, under the command of Major General Robert T. Frederick, it took part in the "Dragoon" landings on 15 August 1944, securing the area north-west of the landing beaches, before moving towards the French-Italian border as part of the United States Seventh Army. The unit was disbanded in November 1944.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

The Military Media Room    
 Forum Ads from Google