AuthorMessage
anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Patton--1970 Movie
Posted on: 7/3/2017 8:16:56 AM
This movie is unlike any other war movie I've seen. This movie tells the story of what happens behind the scenes in a war.

The movie also shines a light on the internal struggles that soldiers were facing outside of the obvious battles they were fighting in the war. This movie also shines a light on General Patton, on man who might be fighting the hardest battle of all-an internal battle with himself.

This is a great movie, because it shows the humour that people were trying to use in some scenes that would get their minds off of the inevitable war that was happening.

General Patton knew how he was viewed by others as a loose cannon and he didn't care.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Re: Patton--1970 Movie
Posted on: 7/4/2017 3:08:15 AM
They certainly packed a lot into it and George C Scott does an admirable job of playing Patton.
Sadly it was a movie with US tanks masquerading as German ones and some historical discrepancies but still a rollicking entertaining film.
Up there with my favourite WWII themed movies.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/4/2017 4:04:44 AM
Thanks wazza-I too noticed the German armour; but did not let that detail to spoil this remarkable biopic for me._Patton as a real person was without doubt an oddity-brave as a lion; but riddled with personal frailties.

Regards

Jim
---------------

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/4/2017 9:12:15 PM
Another excellent war movie,

[Read More]

Cheers,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 7/5/2017 3:49:39 AM
He certainly didn't suffer fools.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/5/2017 4:05:00 AM
No wazza-he did not

Historian Alan Axelrod wrote that "for Patton, leadership was never simply about making plans and giving orders, it was about transforming oneself into a symbol".

Patton intentionally expressed a conspicuous desire for glory, atypical of the officer corps of the day which emphasised blending in with troops on the battlefield. He was an admirer of Admiral Horatio Nelson for his actions in leading the Battle of Trafalgar in a full dress uniform.

Patton had a preoccupation with bravery, wearing his rank insignia conspicuously in combat, and at one point during World War 2 rode atop a tank into a German-controlled village seeking to inspire courage in his men.

Regards

Jim
---------------

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/5/2017 11:10:29 AM

Quote:
They certainly packed a lot into it and George C Scott does an admirable job of playing Patton.
Sadly it was a movie with US tanks masquerading as German ones and some historical discrepancies but still a rollicking entertaining film.
Up there with my favourite WWII themed movies.
--wazza

That was simply how war movies were done back then. Slap a black cross on a modern U.S. tank, and there you had it. Instant panzer!
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 7/7/2017 6:31:12 PM
Of note other than the slap incident think the movie glossed over some of Patton's failures.... like the ill faited rescue of his son in law from a POW camp????? Incurring a lot of casualties.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/9/2017 11:54:24 AM
 IIRC, pretty much the entire campaign in Germany is glossed over (except perhaps the Rhine crossing, can't recall exactly). The film basically moves from the Battle of the Bulge to the occupation of Germany. Probably issues with film length etc.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/9/2017 12:30:05 PM
The main task given to Patton's 3rd Army- was to drive East deep into the heart of Germany. In the general panic at SHAEF following the Ardennes Blitzkrieg he was diverted to Bastogne by Ike to relieve same; and this he did. He was a soldier who knew his duty was to obey orders without question.He was a bloody good general- despite his foibles.

Regards

Jim
---------------

The Military Media Room    
 Forum Ads from Google