The current time is: 12/17/2017 8:12:10 PM
 The Military Media Room    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Kelly's Heroes
Posted on: 7/7/2017 12:46:20 PM
 For a comical look at the war, this film had a surprising number of things accurately depicted. The American tanks are actual Shermans. The scene in which a minefield is cleared is jarringly real, with bayonets used to probe for buried mines. The film did not lack for star-power: Eastwood, O'Connor, Savalas, Sutherland ... among others. The following scene depicts the confusion of the general (O'Connor) and his staff about what is really happening:

[Read More]

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Re: Kelly's Heroes
Posted on: 7/7/2017 1:16:32 PM

Quote:
The scene in which a minefield is cleared is jarringly real, with bayonets used to probe for buried mines.

Finding mines with a prodder involves pushing a tool into the ground and relying on "a bit of luck". However many military groups were trained to use their bayonets as a detection tool-hazardous i agree.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/7/2017 1:56:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:
The scene in which a minefield is cleared is jarringly real, with bayonets used to probe for buried mines.

Finding mines with a prodder involves pushing a tool into the ground and relying on "a bit of luck". However many military groups were trained to use their bayonets as a detection tool-hazardous i agree.

Regards

Jim
--anemone

Jim,

 I well recall my own training in the 1980s. It was no different, but we were taught to detect "mousetraps" as well -- small booby traps on the bottom of a mine that would detonate the entire mine if removed without disarming the booby trap first. I suppose we were "lucky" -- IEDs were not a fixture of the battlefield at that time.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/7/2017 2:15:12 PM
Of course Bill-the movie was set in WW2; and the use of bayonets was relatively common- where soldiers did not have "sappers" (RE) backing them up. I can well imagine that by the 1980's- there were all manner of devilish devices to contend with- as there are today --see the movie "The Hurt Locker".

Regards

Jim
---------------

OpanaPointer
St. Louis, MO, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/7/2017 3:34:00 PM
Then there were the cases where the locals would walk down a trail without ever setting off a trap, and our guys would get the shit blown of out them on step #3.

Hearts and minds.

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 7/7/2017 6:33:33 PM
Great movie and lots of great name actors. Memorable theme song (Burning Bridges) and great comedy.

Kelly however, needed to get a haircut or a larger size helmet. it looks very odd on his head... anyone else ever notice that?

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 7/8/2017 5:51:16 PM
And just by coincidence, the movie was on tv yesterday!!!

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 7/8/2017 5:52:55 PM
And here's a question that has been bugging me for years.....

how many of the heroes die trying to get to the gold?

My count is only three in the minefield..?

SJ
Belfast N Ireland, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 7/9/2017 5:32:24 AM

Quote:
Great movie and lots of great name actors. Memorable theme song (Burning Bridges) and great comedy.

Kelly however, needed to get a haircut or a larger size helmet. it looks very odd on his head... anyone else ever notice that?
--wazza

I thought he might just be wearing the liner. A lot of West Germans used to parade and exercise in the liner- then when they had to wear the helmet it felt odd and heavy.

But no - on closer inspection of the stills, I see the liner straps - has Eastwood just got a large cranium ?

morris crumley
Lawrenceville, GA, USA
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 7/9/2017 9:11:55 AM
"Stop with dem negative waves man!"

Respects, Morris
---------------
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."

OpanaPointer
St. Louis, MO, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/9/2017 10:52:08 AM
What was Switzerland's position on war loot?

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 7/9/2017 11:02:29 AM
Custodians ??? I'm learning

Regards

Jim
---------------

SJ
Belfast N Ireland, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 7/9/2017 11:39:45 AM

Quote:
--OpanaPointer

It transformed them from a backward agrarian society to become the bankers of the world. There is a lot of dark history attached to the gold that flooded the vaults of Zurich!

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 7/13/2017 7:26:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Regards

Jim
--anemone

Jim,

 I well recall my own training in the 1980s. It was no different, but we were taught to detect "mousetraps" as well -- small booby traps on the bottom of a mine that would detonate the entire mine if removed without disarming the booby trap first. I suppose we were "lucky" -- IEDs were not a fixture of the battlefield at that time.

Cheers

BW

--BWilson

Here is a nice combo our people in Ukraine keep encountering now:
a OZM-72AP bounding fragmentation mine in combo with a MS-3AP pressure release booby trap mine underneath. The sole purpose of the MS-3 is to take out whoever tries to clear away the OZM. The rebels, of course, have apparently bought these in sporting goods shops in Donetsk where they were sold for hunting purposes...

---------------
You can be a Dictator or you can design ladies undergarments. You can't do both (Bertie Wooster)

OpanaPointer
St. Louis, MO, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 7/14/2017 9:20:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:
--OpanaPointer

It transformed them from a backward agrarian society to become the bankers of the world. There is a lot of dark history attached to the gold that flooded the vaults of Zurich!

--SJ

I meant Kelly's mob.

The Military Media Room    
 Forum Ads from Google