Visiting Battlefields, Historical Sites, and Museums    
AuthorMessage
wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Back From Pearl
Posted on: 10/30/2016 10:22:37 PM
So, just back from a jam packed week in Hawaii. Did the pilgrimage to Pearl Harbour and the Arizona memorial. And then wandered around the Missouri with a wonderful Texas lass as our tour guide.
Bit surreal with all the Japanese at the Arizona memorial and the wife noted that the mob with us seemed to be polite and respectful and not too chatty, that was the Germans making the noise this time.
Wasn't too impressed with the museum part of the memorial, and they certainly need to do some weeding and gardening around the paths etc.
All in all glad we did it, took lots of pics and got to see the 'Black tears', that part was certainly very sobering.
cheers.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Back From Pearl
Posted on: 10/31/2016 3:03:46 AM
Wazza,

 I've been there as well. It is, as you write, very sobering. Oahu was unusual for me, but not for the regular tourist reasons. It didn't feel like I was in the USA, it had a colonial air to it. One thing that intrigued me was that I saw only one species of bird there.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 10/31/2016 4:16:35 AM
Actually we felt that as well.
Hawaii didn't have that mainland USA vibe which was good in all honesty. Love the laid back islander vibe that permeates throughout the Hawaiian islands.
The rudest people we met, surprising enough were mainland Americans.....not the young, not the old but the 40-50 somethings.....
But to be fair, so I am not accused of yank bashing, Aussies and kiwis still have a lot to learn regarding tipping. Was very disappointed about my own kind not tipping correctly or refusing to tip at all!
As for bird life, had to laugh when a street vendor harassed my wife to have her picture taken with a cockatoo. Our family pet the
'General' at home would have been miffed!!!! The Macaws were very pretty!

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/1/2016 11:04:00 PM
Waz,

I heard oil still seeps from the Arizona to the surface! And something unusual and solumn exists near the Arizona??

feel or see anything??
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Posted on: 11/2/2016 3:14:59 AM
Yes we captured great footage of the black tears coming to the surface then popping into a small oil slick.
Got told that the surviving crew once passing away get interned finally, with there mates on the wreck site. How moving is that!!!!

Visiting Battlefields, Historical Sites, and Museums    
 Forum Ads from Google