The current time is: 12/15/2017 7:17:21 AM
 Visiting Battlefields, Historical Sites, and Museums    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Bogdanka Batterie
Posted on: 1/6/2017 4:11:30 AM
 Walking by a lake near Poznan yesterday, I spotted a sign noting the spot had once been the site of a fortress artillery battery. A Polish website mentioned there are still ground traces. I'll have to go there with my camera once it warms up a bit. Temperature today is -8C. Apparently, the battery was built in 1890 by the Prussians. I'll look in a book I have to see if the battery was still operational during the 1945 showdown.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Lightning
Glasgow, UK
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Re: Bogdanka Batterie
Posted on: 1/26/2017 10:13:15 AM
Did you get some decent photos, Mr Wilson? 1890s fortifications are quite interesting; strong enough to be impressive to the attacking infantryman, but still weak enough to be breached by modernised smokeless artillery.

Cheers,

Colin
---------------
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 1/26/2017 11:39:16 AM
Colin,

 Unfortunately, there is not much to photograph. The battery is gone but reportedly there are still remnants of some kind visible in the earth. I'll check once the snow and ice has melted. The image below depicts how the battery looked. Apart from that, there -are- many intact forts around Poznan from the same period. From what I've read, the Soviet forces had quite an ordeal reducing the forts and the central citadel in February 1945.

Cheers

BW

---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 1/26/2017 12:10:01 PM
 Some photos of one of the forts about a kilometer from the Bogdanka Batterie. A mixture of old Prussian work and add-ons from the first half of the twentieth century.

Cheers

BW
---------------

Lightning
Glasgow, UK
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 1/26/2017 2:08:26 PM
Bill,

The above ground works don't seem particularly thick, maybe a couple of feet in width? Makes you wonder about how military planners hadn't considered that artillery would improve?

Cheers,

Colin
---------------
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 1/29/2017 8:06:32 AM
Hi Colin,

 Hard for me to tell as I am not a fortifications buff. The old stuff as far I can tell is the brickwork -- a very Prussian signature. But the Poles may have improved the works after the First World War, and some of it, like the concrete pillbox above ground, looks to be the work of the Germans in the Second World War.

 I believe, at the least, the central Citadel was fairly impervious to Soviet artillery. It had to be stormed, in some cases with ancient techniques. The ravines in front of the main positions were a huge problem and the Soviets had to resort to filling them with fascines so that they could be crossed by pioneers who then assaulted the firing ports with explosives and the like.

 Re: artillery improvement. My guess is that the original works had supplementary reinforced concrete at least partially applied in response to the improvement in munitions.

 The Bogdanka Battery I have found out was removed ca. 1943 when the Germans built a reservoir lake in that area using the forced labor of Soviet prisoners. I suppose the Germans believed the lake was a sufficient barrier to any enemy and the battery was no longer useful. As a bit of additional history, a few hundred forced laborers were worked to death building the reservoir; and, in the forests around the lake, some 2,000 prisoners were executed by the SS in 1940. I try to visualize these events when I walk there, but the scenery of the lake and forests is too visually compelling. There are three or four monuments in spots by the lake to remember the dead.

Image: A view of the lake today.

Cheers

BW
---------------

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/26/2017 10:26:48 PM
Bill,

Here is a map of Posen/Poznan in 1914. Maybe it will help.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/27/2017 5:15:32 AM
 Thanks, Trevor. Bogdanka Batterie is off the map a bit to the north and west. The "Kernwerk" is still in existence and hosts a couple of Second World War and Cold War museums, as well as a Commonwealth Cemetery.

Cheers

BW
---------------

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/8/2017 4:46:50 PM
Bill,

Posen was the third largest fortress town in Europe after Verdun and Koblenz.

You meant enjoy this website. Click on "Fortifications on plan"

[Read More]

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/9/2017 2:35:48 AM
Thanks again, Trevor. If you looked at the "plan" on that site, did you notice the red-lined region to the north ? That is the old training ground Warthelager, in use today by the Polish forces.

Cheers

BW
---------------

James W.
Ballina, Australia
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 3/9/2017 2:41:27 AM

Quote:
Bill,

Trevor
--scoucer

Trevor, so where do Brest-Litovsk & Sebastopol rate in this 'festung im europa' line-up?

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/9/2017 11:06:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Bill,

Trevor
--scoucer

Trevor, so where do Brest-Litovsk & Sebastopol rate in this 'festung im europa' line-up?

--James W.

In 1914, I have no idea. Both Brest-Litovsk and Sewastopol were primarilly post-WW1 developed to be large Fortress towns as they achieved a larger strategic significance post-1918. Plans to develop Brest-Litovsk in 1913 were interupted by WW1. I believe Przemsyl was the 4th largest.

Trevor
---------------

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/10/2017 11:36:41 AM
Correction: Antwerp was 4th and Przemysl was 5th.

Trevor

---------------

Visiting Battlefields, Historical Sites, and Museums    
 Forum Ads from Google