AuthorMessage
Page 7 of 7 (Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7) 
Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: 1915-A Year of Battles. Disappointments and some Newcomers
Posted on: 2/7/2017 10:10:16 AM
An armistice and a negotiated settlement would have been a far more typical outcome - and in fact, ended up being the eventual outcome, even if the negotiations were one sided - than a WW2 style absolute surrender.
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/9/2017 2:43:17 PM
A lot of interesting questions here and still enjoying this thread. I've made a list of the questions and slowly writing my comments to them ( health permitting). I personally will be staying on this thread before going onto 1916 and I hope we can then go deeper into Verdun, Somme, Jutland, Brussilow.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

Lightning
Glasgow, UK
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 2/13/2017 8:56:50 AM
Hi Trevor,

Looking forward to your comments - I still feel that 1915 has legs left in it.

Cheers,

Colin
---------------
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/13/2017 12:27:00 PM

Quote:
Hi Trevor,

Looking forward to your comments - I still feel that 1915 has legs left in it.

Cheers,

Colin
--Lightning

Certainly does Colin. Unfortunately, I'm on doctors orders to avoid any stress and according to my missus and daughters that includes typing for long periods

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/13/2017 3:23:43 PM
There's nothing like a scoucer's sick note !

Get better ASAP, Trevor, we need you and we're missing you !

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/13/2017 3:23:43 PM
DP
---------------

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/16/2017 8:06:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Was it true that Germany was willing to negotiate peace with Russia and France individually in 1915, thus hanging the British Empire out to dry?George--George

Quote:
I think that " England " was the most hated enemy ; it strikes me as a plausible suggestion that the isolation and humiliation of this maritime behemoth would have appealed to the Germans as the principal goal.Regards, Phil--phil andrade

I really don't know what to make of 1915.  I think it's the hardest of all the war's years to put into perspective.

What he does say with some clarity, though, is that the battles of 1914 had proven that the German soldiers enjoyed a qualitative edge over their opponents, so much so that it was felt expedient to diminish the size of German divisions and create more units that could be deployed where and when circumstances dictated.

He also expresses a visceral resentment of England, with her war of starvation and flouting of standards of humanity.Regards, Phil--phil andrade

Quote:
Is Falkenhayn arguing for peace?  Did Germany have prospect of winning the war outright in 1915? I can't think of a moment throughout that year where I feel that the Allies were truly in peril, compared with the preceding year and the years to follow.Cheers, Colin--Lightning

Crushing this into a post.

The thing one has to remember is that the Germans believed that England had manoeuvred them into a war with a revengeful France and avaricious Russia . This wasn't true , of course, but neither was the British belief that Germany had planned an aggressive expansionist war.
From the moment Belgium started resisting ( at Britain's instigation as the Germans believed  it ) and Britain declared war, the Germans saw Britain as the principal enemy. And the Germans believed that Britain would let France and Russia do the heavy fighting first before mobilising in order to have a bigger say at the end of hostilities. In point of fact, the Schlieffenplan was off the rails as soon as Britain declared war. The only hope that Germany had was to defeat France before the British could truly mobilise, and the High Seas Fleet gathered at Wilhelmshaven to defend Germany against a british naval attack a la Nelson ( that never came). The 1st battle of the Marne put an end to that. Falkenhayn ( who was similtaneously Chief of Staff and prussian War Minister), the Kaiser, Kanzler Bethmann - Hollweg and the Military Cabinet and the Bundesrat ( Federal council) believed the Central Powers couldn't win outright but if they could damage France and Russia enough they might be willing to agree to an Armistice and a Westphalian type Peace Conference. 

Many of the reserve divisions created would become the 11th Army. Falkenhayn wished to use the 11th Army at the start of 1915 against the british . Either at Ypres or Arras. Unfortunately, he was forced to send the 11th Army to the East. These experienced troops from the West would be the "breakthrough " Army at Gorlice-Tarnow.

Trevor
---------------

Phil andrade
London, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/17/2017 3:25:00 AM
Thanks, Trevor.

Unfortunately, he was forced to send the 11th Army to the East.

Fortunately for Britain.

Regards, Phil
---------------

(1914-1918) WWI Battles    
Page 7 of 7 (Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7) 
 Forum Ads from Google