(1914-1918) WWI Battles    
AuthorMessage
Lew & Ginny Gage
Cornish, NH, USA
top 60
E-3 Private First Class

Another shell!
Posted on: 2/2/2017 1:19:35 PM
I brought the WWI shell to work the other day, and one of the young guys I work with said he had a similar one, and he brought it to work today. A little different. Not as fancy, and it doesn't have any markings on the bottom.

Ginny

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Another shell!
Posted on: 2/2/2017 2:17:28 PM
 Interesting. Thoughts on the bird -- is that a dove ? Almost an eagle-like posture, but the head and beak are not that of a bird of prey. I wonder what the "WPW" and anchors signify.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

Lew & Ginny Gage
Cornish, NH, USA
top 60
E-3 Private First Class

Posted on: 2/2/2017 2:25:54 PM
It's funny, but I think the photos are more clear than just by looking at it! We bought a new camera a few months ago, and it's amazing!

As for the bird, you certainly could be correct. Dove of peace? And it certainly appears to be anchors. Don't know what the letters signify. Gosh, this is why I posted these! To get answers! :-)

Ginny

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/2/2017 2:54:00 PM
 Or perhaps a pigeon carrying a message. Good luck with the answers!

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 2/2/2017 8:15:14 PM
Bill, I agree that's not the head of a typical raptor, but this is trench art so a lot of the stuff is more fanciful than Lew and Ginny's Verdun piece.

It's possible to make guesses about the intentions of the brass worker, just for the hell of it. I guess it would depend on better identification of the shell itself. To be honest, I had thought that the base plate of shells always carried some coding at least suggesting its origin. Perhaps that info has been filed off?

What war is it from, which weapon would it serve? Does its shape suggest anything (I know next to nothing about ordnance, but it seems oddly shaped to me)?

Can we assume it is a naval shell on the strength of the bracketing anchors? Note that the anchors are not identical, which in itself seems odd to me.

And, the two larger questions: What does the bird represent? And what about "WPW"?

WPW is an acronym for at least some 42 organizations, according to a rapid web search. The only one listed which might even come close to applying is "What People Want", but I'm not willing to bet much on that.

The bird could be a dove. That was my first thought. But I notice that the bird's head has little tooling to indicate feathers, while the rest of the bird is tooled. Except for the trailing feathers of the wings and the tail feathers. It wouldn't be that difficult to see this as a rendering of a bald eagle, albeit one with a badly rendered beak.

I'm getting pretty fanciful in my comments, I admit. Should one of us link our discussion to the "Ordnance" thread, to try for identification?

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 2/3/2017 12:59:18 AM
Brian,

 I wonder if WPW are the initials of the artisan. Good catch on the anchor detail. -That- may be a significant clue. Hard to say about the physical form; the camera may have induced a slightly distorted view of its geometry. The other thing is that sometimes these "paperweights" have mismatched shells and projectiles (base for one kind, projectile for another).

Cheers

BW
---------------

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 2/3/2017 5:08:39 PM
Bill, don't know enough about trench art to know if signatures are part of them, though I would have expected not.

IIRC, there was a fashion (don't know if it still exists) which (at least on robes and signet rings) placed initials with the surname initial in the centre. My initials are BLG, but on a signet ring would appear as BGL, with the G emphasized. If that is still so, then this could stand for any number of things. I'm thinking – and I admit this is ever more fanciful – that WPW could stand for something like World Wide Peace, which would not have been out of place on at least some war art I have seen.

I'm probably going to take this down to our local military history store to see what the owners say.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

(1914-1918) WWI Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google