(1914-1918) WWI Battles    
AuthorMessage
Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Pershing's Crusader's
Posted on: 3/18/2017 9:55:55 PM
Just picked up an interesting new book on the AEF, by Richard Faulkner, "Pershing's Crusader's, The American Soldier in World War 1."
This is a major work, 633 pages of text, exploring every aspect of the AEF's structure, recruiting, training, doctrine, equipment, and combat effectiveness. In many respects, it provides a treatment of the AEF similar to that provided the German army in "The Kaiser's Army" and "An Instrument of War", one which is long overdue.
I'm only just starting on it, but this is yet another, and still necessary, correction to the early literature of the AEF, which tended to portray it as a well oiled, irresistible instrument of war. The truth, of course, was far different. Far from virtually winning the war single handed, the AEF struggled to sustain itself and fight effectively, a fact difficult to find in early accounts.
It is good to finally see in depth treatments of the AEF emerging.
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Re: Pershing's Crusader's
Posted on: 3/19/2017 5:00:35 AM
Hi Jim congrats on your new book. The only piece of literature that I have on the AEF is Laurence Stalling's "The Doughboys" 403pp published in 1963-obviously dated; but strictly speaking I found it reasonsably fair for a first time read for a novice.I suppose this is quite understandable-having no other work to compare and thus measure it's veracity.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/19/2017 6:52:29 AM
Please give us updates Jim Cameron.

Right now the book is $42 CDN on amazon.ca and that's the kindle version. Hardcover is $64 CDN.

That's a bit steep for me but if your reports are positive, then it would be worth it.

Cheers,

George

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/19/2017 8:16:55 AM
Used- as New HB- are £23 + £3 p&p on Amazon UK books

Regards

Uk
---------------

James W.
Ballina, Australia
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 3/19/2017 8:26:22 AM
AIF Corps Commander General Sir John Monash certainly helped out the poorly 'blooded' neophyte trench rat doughboys..
Not very often does an actual foreigner command US troops in combat, let alone a bloke of the Hebrew persuasion, back then...

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 3/19/2017 2:17:15 PM

Quote:
Hi Jim congrats on your new book. The only piece of literature that I have on the AEF is Laurence Stalling's "The Doughboys" 403pp published in 1963-obviously dated; but strictly speaking I found it reasonsably fair for a first time read for a novice.I suppose this is quite understandable-having no other work to compare and thus measure it's veracity.

Regards

Jim
--anemone

"The Doughboys" is in fact a very good read, as might be expected from a writer of Stalling's experience and accomplishment. However, it still falls into the generally lauditory early works on the AEF, in which every operation is a model of military effeciency and success, and the term "fiasco" is not to be found.

After 1963, when it came out, there was quite a gap in publications focused on the AEF, until relatively recently, during the runup to the centennial. WW2 was, after all, from the U.S. perspective more "our". Bookstore shelves groaning under the weight of WW2 titles would generally have a smattering of books on WW1, most of them well dated.
Only in recent years have authors begun to take a more critical look at the AEF.

Of recent works, one of the best is "The AEF Way of War" by Mark Gretelueschen. This explores tactical evolution within the AEF, by way of a series of case studies of selected divisions. It demonstrates how the AEF learned, at considerable cost, to fight effectively under set piece, artillery intensive, trench warfare conditions, as often as not in direct conflict with official "open warfare" rifle and bayonet doctrine.

Aside from the Meuse-Argonne, modern studies of the AEF's campaigns remain lacking, although a recent study of Cantigny, "First Over There", by Matthew Davenport, was superb, and among the best tactical studies I have ever had the pleasure to read.

Actually, I suppose that the relative lack of AEF campaign studies is due in large part to it's relatively short operational life, and the fact that in most of the campaigns in which the AEF took part, it's divisions fought as part of French (or occasionally, British) armies. The Meuse-Argonne, and St. Mihiel, are about the only distinctly American battles of the war, and even there French divisions took part.
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/19/2017 2:30:32 PM

Quote:
Of recent works, one of the best is "The AEF Way of War" by Mark Gretelueschen. This explores tactical evolution within the AEF, by way of a series of case studies of selected divisions. It demonstrates how the AEF learned, at considerable cost, to fight effectively under set piece, artillery intensive, trench warfare conditions, as often as not in direct conflict with official "open warfare" rifle and bayonet doctrine. --Jim Cameron

I enjoyed Grotelueschen immensely. For those who cant afford the book, here is a copy of the original doctorate from Texas University that was the basis.

[Read More]

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/19/2017 2:34:40 PM
Many thanks for your post Jim-it is good to get a critique about one's books-that they were not aware of-The Doughboys is a good example.As I said I read this book as a novice; and obviously not knowing anything at all about the AEF-I took it all in.My next learning curve was here- where the truth started to emerge; and I got a true glimpse of the AEF -warts and all.Keep us posted re Pershing's Crusaders and I'll see what I can get it for- here in the UK.

Regards

Jim
---------------

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 3/25/2017 1:29:02 PM
Black Jack Pershing!

[Read More]
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

(1914-1918) WWI Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google