(1914-1918) WWI Battles    
AuthorMessage
kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Trench warfare
Posted on: 8/1/2017 9:39:39 AM
Came upon this article on trenches and how they were constructed. Quite interesting.

[Read More]
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Trench warfare
Posted on: 8/3/2017 8:49:34 AM
Hi Kai,

Very realistic technically, they should or could be in a WWl war museum or a trench battlefield visitor center!

Are they on display anywhere? You know some of the 1st trenches were used by Gen. Robert E Lee CSA, at the end of the American Civil War!?

Thanks for sharing,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 8/3/2017 9:07:18 AM

Quote:
Hi Kai,

Very realistic technically, they should or could be in a WWl war museum or a trench battlefield visitor center!

Are they on display anywhere? You know some of the 1st trenches were used by Gen. Robert E Lee CSA, at the end of the American Civil War!?

Thanks for sharing,
MD
--Michigan Dave

And well before that. I believe that a French man wrote the book on the use of trenches for siege warfare sometime in the 17th century.

The WW1 trench systems were complex, sophisticated structures but I think that historically, if an army was receiving artillery fire over an extensive period of time that eventually someone would say, "let's dig a hole".

Napoleon used trenches when laying siege I believe.

Dave, many sections of WW1 trenches have been preserved in Europe. I am familiar with the one at Vimy Ridge in France, which also includes parts of the tunnel system used to shelter troops and give them safe transit from the rear to the trenches at the front.

A sanitized version of WW1 trenches preserved for posterity:

[Read More]

[Read More]

There are other examples in Europe of course.

Lightning
Glasgow, UK
top 20
E-7 Sgt First Class

Posted on: 8/3/2017 11:59:50 AM
The defenders of Jerusalem used entrenchments and underground tunnels to man their defences during the Jewish War in the 1st century AD against the Roman legions.

Even before the American Civil War, trenches as we would recognise them were used the Maoris fighting against Crown forces in New Zealand and also by the various belligerents during the Crimean War. I'm sure trenches of sorts were used in western Europe during the Wars of Succession in the late 17th/early 18th century also.

I enjoyed looking at the models in the link; the little chap smoking on the pipe was a nice touch. Was a "model" trench ever in existence on the Western Front? I'm sure they all descended into muddy chaos eventually!

Cheers,

Colin
---------------
"There is no course open to us but to fight it out. Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause, each one of us must fight to the end."

Jim Cameron
North Bellmore, NY, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Posted on: 8/3/2017 12:17:05 PM
"Model" trenches probably existed more in training grounds, or in the occasional trenches that would be dug in parks to give the public some idea of what they looked like.

Trenches evolved over the course of the war. German trenches tended to be more permanent, since they were mainly holding their lines. Allied trenches tended to be more temporary, with less in the way of living quarters and fortification, since they were looking to advance and drive the Germans back.
---------------
Jim Cameron

Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.

(1914-1918) WWI Battles    
 Forum Ads from Google