You are not signed in.
The current time is: 10/17/2017 2:51:10 PM
  - - (1863) Battle of Gettysburg - 101    
AuthorMessage
wombat1417
New York City, NY, USA
top 30
E-5 Sergeant

What was Stuart supposed to be doing on June 9?
Posted on: 4/12/2017 7:23:06 PM
I've been starting in on Brandy Station.
So far, my few preliminary sources mention that on June 9, Stuart was supposed to be "leading" Lee's invasion of the North instead of fighting a major cavalry battle.
However, I have yet to find out just what it was that Stuart's cavalry was supposed to be doing on that date.
So, what were the original plans for Stuart's movements from Culpeper Court House? Wouldn't they have worked just as well after the dust of Brandy Station had settled?
---------------
Cry "Havoc"...and let slip the dogs of war.

Rick Schaus
Capon Springs, WV, USA
top 15
E-8 Master Sergeant

Re: What was Stuart supposed to be doing on June 9?
Posted on: 5/17/2017 1:23:32 PM
The following is from The Life and Campaigns of Major-General J. E. B. Stuart, by Stuart staff officer Henry McClellan, 1885:

”The movement of his (Lee’s) army which resulted in the Gettysburg campaign had commenced. Longstreet and Ewell had already reached Culpeper Court House, and he wished his cavalry to move across the Rappahannock on the following day, to protect the flank of these corps as they moved northward. In preparation for this movement the brigades were, on the evening of the same day, moved down toward the river. Fitz Lee's brigade, commanded by Colonel T. T. Munford, having charge of the pickets on the upper Rappahannock, was, with the exception of the 4th Virginia Cavalry, moved across the Hazel River, and encamped in the vicinity of Oak Shade. W. H. F. Lee's brigade was stationed near Welford's house on the road to Welford's Ford; Jones' brigade on the road to Beverly's Ford ; while Robertson's brigade encamped between the Botts and Barbour farms, picketing the lower fords. Hampton's brigade returned to their camps between Brandy Station and Stevensburg. One battery of horse artillery was sent across the Hazel River with Fitz Lee's brigade, while the other four accompanied Jones' brigade to the vicinity of Saint James' Church. Orders were issued to march at an early hour on the 9th, and, ignorant of any concentration of the enemy's cavalry on the opposite side, the battalion of horse artillery bivouacked in advance of Jones' brigade, on the edge of the woods which skirt the large open field north of Saint James' Church.”
(pp 262)
---------------
VR, Rick Schaus

"When things go wrong in your command, start searching for the reason in increasingly large circles around your own desk."
-- Gen. Bruce Clarke

littlepowell
SC, USA
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/
Posted on: 5/20/2017 7:29:49 AM
I really need to get back to Brandy Station since the Civil War Trust preserved all of that land on Fleetwood Hill. One of my all-time favorite battlefields to visit. Many areas have been practically untouched since the battle. Walking those fields I could almost hear the clanking of the sabers.
---------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 5/20/2017 8:41:37 AM
Hi LP,

Great to hear that the civil war trust is doing its job.

MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

- - (1863) Battle of Gettysburg - 101    
 Forum Ads from Google