E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

1966 British production about the U.S. Army in Germany
Posted on: 10/25/2016 2:30:16 AM
[Read More]

from (British) Pathé News.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: 1966 British production about the U.S. Army in Germany
Posted on: 10/25/2016 7:20:39 AM
Interesting. The voice over sounded like many of the British propaganda newsreels produced during the war.

But of course this was about the US troops stationed in Germany.

The US really tried to duplicate a home town feel to the base.

During the battle exercise I noted a brief shot of US armour and troops heading through a wide gap with forest on either side. It looked familiar. Reminded me of the Hochwald.

Is there any way to determine where the scheme took place?

Many years ago I had considered applying to DND to teach Canadian military kids either at Lahr or Baden-Baden. Should have taken the plunge but I don't recall that the Canadian bases were anywhere near as nice as the US facilities appear to have been in the video. I could be wrong.

What arrangements had been made to evacuate the families of service people should the Russians and friends have decided to move?

Cheers,

George

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: 1966 British production about the U.S. Army in Germany
Posted on: 10/25/2016 7:33:50 AM
 My family shopped on occasion at Baden-Baden when I was a kid. If the toy selection was any indication, they took care of their people on that base. You should have gone, George! That area of Germany is very pleasant.

 There was a program called Noncombatant Evacuation Operations (NEO) to get civilians out of the area in case of war. Not many people had a lot of faith in it. It was one of those things that looked workable on paper but would have been awfully chaotic in wartime. Here is a link to an Army evaluation of the Heidelberg NEO plan (I have not yet read it). [Read More]

 On edit. Re: your question as to the forest location. It looked like the troops being filmed were from the 8th Infantry Division. They were based around Bad Kreuznach, so the location may have been west of the Rhine and between Karlsruhe and Koeln. I doubt they were on exercise as far north as the Hochwald.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

(1945-1991) Cold War    
 Forum Ads from Google