The current time is: 10/18/2017 1:41:08 AM
 (1945-1991) Cold War    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Wasserkuppe history
Posted on: 11/6/2016 10:41:27 AM
 For those who understand German. This video is a mix of Cold War and German aviation history. Note it can be accessed only until 21 November.

[Read More]

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: Wasserkuppe history
Posted on: 11/6/2016 8:22:40 PM
My German is in no way capable of following your link. Am I correct in assuming this is, because of height and location, a key control point for potential war with the USSR? I must admit, I'm assuming that, with the B-47s and Mig-19s (I think) we were getting a history of Cold War Air Defense.

I can't imagine why you haven't offered a full and complete translation!

More prosaically, I wonder why this site will only be available until 21 Nov.?

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/7/2016 1:45:20 AM
 The site has been available since November last year. An Air Force veteran who read my Fulda Gap article mentioned the presence of this radar unit on the Wasserkuppe and pointed me to the link a few days ago. The video covers two topics; Cold War air defense and control of the air corridor to Berlin, and covers some of the German military and sport pilot training that took place there.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 11/7/2016 12:25:22 PM

Quote:
More prosaically, I wonder why this site will only be available until 21 Nov.?

Cheers
Brian G
--brian grafton

The documentary was shown on ARD television ( sort of german equivalent of the BBC ) on the 21.11.2015. So it remains online in the ARD media library ( cost free for a year).

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 11/7/2016 8:17:49 PM
Bill and Trevor, thanks to each of you for explaining things concerning Wasserkuppe.

There was a time when I was close to "school boy literacy" in German. And it was funny that I could pick up more information from the USAF official than from others on the show. I guess I could hear him searching not so much for words but for sentence order.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

(1945-1991) Cold War    
 Forum Ads from Google