(1945-1991) Cold War    
AuthorMessage
kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Made it across the line
Posted on: 12/30/2016 4:18:32 PM
came across this powerful photo from Berlin.

A young east German woman has collapsed after making it across the line to West Berlin.

Behind her, an international incident could easily develop quickly as the West German border guards, gun in hand, stare down the East Germans.

---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

wazza
Sydney , Australia
top 25
E-6 Staff Sergeant

Re: Made it across the line
Posted on: 12/30/2016 4:39:20 PM
Wow. That's a fascinating picture, and an equally fascinating period of European history.

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/30/2016 5:03:31 PM
Sorry to disappoint. It's a still from an Italian film.

Quote:
"This image also shows up in the Getty images collection with the caption "German actress Nana Osten (left) as Rita, the girlfriend of a would be East German defector, in a scene from 'Oggi a Berlino' (aka 'East Zone, West Zone'), directed by Piero Vivarelli, 1962. On the right are actors playing West Berlin policemen and East German Volkspolizei facing each other across the border in Berlin."

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 12/30/2016 6:04:14 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Trevor!

Fascinating picture, but knowing it is from a film takes away some of the mysery of it, certainly.

One thing I did wonder about was whether the border would have been just a line, and not two lines with a neutral zone between them.
---------------

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/31/2016 1:36:27 AM
 More Cold War dramatization.

Quote:
JACKET NOTES: On an assignment that had brought death to every other secret agent, Paul Kilgerrin went to Trieste. Guns and ammunition were being smuggles into that internationally contested city. And somewhere among the tangles desperate maze of Titoist partisans, Communist rioters, and Fascist bands was the underground group responsible. There seemed no other way to get at them save to set a trap with himself as bait--and that's what Kilgerrin did!
As timely as today's crisis headlines, this novel reveals the dagger behind the cloak. It's a seething adventure story of men and women caught in the currents of conflicting passions.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 12/31/2016 3:21:34 PM

Quote:
 More Cold War dramatization.

Quote:
JACKET NOTES: On an assignment that had brought death to every other secret agent, Paul Kilgerrin went to Trieste. Guns and ammunition were being smuggles into that internationally contested city. And somewhere among the tangles desperate maze of Titoist partisans, Communist rioters, and Fascist bands was the underground group responsible. There seemed no other way to get at them save to set a trap with himself as bait--and that's what Kilgerrin did!
As timely as today's crisis headlines, this novel reveals the dagger behind the cloak. It's a seething adventure story of men and women caught in the currents of conflicting passions.

Cheers

BW
--BWilson

Trieste is a really fascinating place when it comes to Cold War history. A visit is highly recommended to everyone, and just an hour or two away sre the battlefields of WW1 as well - with binkers dug out of granite mountains.
---------------

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 12/31/2016 5:19:48 PM
Sorry, did I miss something? Jacket notes? To what novel, written when?

I have vague memories of Trieste in the late 40s to mid-50s, when I was just a nipper. Never did understand why it received so much coverage at the time, though I knew instinctively that it was about the newly named "Cold War". It brought Tito's name to the fore as a renegade communist, introduced the world to Yugoslavia or (take your pick) Jugoslavia, and seemed to be as important in the political news as the UN police action in Korea. Then, suddenly, discussions and events concerning Trieste disappeared from the wire services.

How much the public concern with Trieste was a part of the "Red Scare" and HUAC I cannot say. Trieste became, at least to this growing lad, just one of the early mysteries of post-war reality. Even now, I couldn't really offer any rational commentary about why Trieste was such a focal point. I assume it was because it was a culturally diverse city that could be defined as a hub where east met west, north met south, three major religions intersected, and the city and its port facilities could play a role in post WW2 European development. But at the time, Trieste was simply a "bogeyman" term that conjured up fears of the MCC.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 12/31/2016 6:16:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up Trevor!

Fascinating picture, but knowing it is from a film takes away some of the mysery of it, certainly.

One thing I did wonder about was whether the border would have been just a line, and not two lines with a neutral zone between them.
--kaii

Until 1961 the division was quite literally a single line painted on the ground that marked the border between the districts ( ie. Berlin-Wedding and Berlin-Pankow ).

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 1/1/2017 1:44:03 AM
Sorry, did I miss something?

 Book cover image updated.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

(1945-1991) Cold War    
 Forum Ads from Google