The current time is: 12/17/2017 8:28:02 PM
 (1945-1991) Cold War    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Successor to the 40 and 8 ?
Posted on: 4/12/2017 2:38:08 PM
 A vehicle I experienced during the 1980s was one I only saw on military training installations -- the "cattle car". It was a long trailer pulled by a tractor. The trailer could hold some fifty soldiers with their rucksacks, rifles, and other tactical gear.

 I was surprised to see a version of this vehicle in service during the Vietnam War (in theater):

 The concept makes sense on a training installation. It is likely less costly to run the tractor-trailer than operate true tactical trucks when the job is to move recruits from the barracks to a training site. I can imagine the troops in Vietnam felt a bit exposed in such a vehicle, though.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: Successor to the 40 and 8 ?
Posted on: 4/12/2017 2:47:41 PM
Were the boys leaving Duffy's Tavern or just arriving?

What are they sitting on BTW? Almost looks like wooden picnic tables.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/12/2017 3:18:13 PM
George,

 Close to picnic tables. Benches that could be folded down. Personal space was at a minimum; kind of like flying economy these days Much like flying economy, one ignored the physical space limitation. It was either that one was seated beside an acquaintance to chat with, or one sat within a psychological barrier to battle the sense of not having enough personal space.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Posted on: 4/15/2017 7:19:11 PM
Bill, on a serious note I had thought the 40/8 of WW1 notoriety was anything but a military tradition worth continuing.

The British, of course, during WW2, went out of their way to provide privacy and time for contemplation when troops wanted to move. They called the vehicles "bicycles", and let tens of thousands of air crew loose between pub and base.

Would I want to go anywhere on that contraption you depict? Just home... .

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

(1945-1991) Cold War    
 Forum Ads from Google