The current time is: 10/24/2017 7:20:05 AM
 (1945-1991) Cold War    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

How useful was Turkey as an ally ?
Posted on: 4/17/2017 8:38:09 AM
 Talking the Cold War era here and a bit of the modern era, too.

 Turkey has been a NATO member since 1952. A lot of land mass in the country. Their armed forces were of respectable size, but of limited capability. I doubt anyone expected in the event of a general war that Turkey would invade Bulgaria and unhinge the Soviet southern flank.

 Turkey's real worth to NATO is position. They bordered the old Soviet Union and are still proximate to modern Russia. Turkey's location made it ideal for listening stations and strategic air bases. On the debit side, the Turks seemed less concerned about the Soviets than they were their ostensible NATO allies, the Greeks. My guess is in the event of war, many Turkish and Greek troops would have been tied up watching each other and not engaging the Warsaw Pact.

 Anymore, with Turkey's democracy a smoking crater and Erdogan playing footsie with Putin as well as looking for opportunities to reclaim old Ottoman lands ... I really wonder why the U.S. still bases military power there. It is risky policy if nothing else. I hope to Hell any "specials" they may have had at Incirlik have been removed by now.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Re: How useful was Turkey as an ally ?
Posted on: 4/27/2017 12:39:06 PM
B,

The rumor is that the Turks were savage fighters?
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

http:// 82.44.47.99
Posted on: 4/27/2017 1:40:56 PM
They were very effective in the war with North Korea 1949-52.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/27/2017 2:19:20 PM
Jim,

 Yes, they were. My father at one point led an American platoon that linked up with the right flank of the Turkish Brigade. He said once the Chinese tried to overwhelm the Turks with human wave tactics, and the Turks just "fought like Hell". The next morning the terrain was still under control of the Turkish Army.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/28/2017 7:10:00 AM

Quote:
They were very effective in the war with North Korea 1949-52.

Regards

Jim
--anemone

 Hmm. But, in terms of worth as an ally, I am not so sure how applicable the Korea example is. A lot of countries sent troops under the UN flag to fight in Korea. I was thinking in terms of the NATO experience.

Cheers

BW
---------------

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Posted on: 4/28/2017 11:37:46 AM
Turkey is still in Afghanistan on NATO duty.

Afghanistan was the first country to recognize modern Turkey as a government and they have had a long relationship.

Their 300 troops have participated in non-combat roles. They train Afghanistan troops and logistical support.

They sent troops to Bosnia and Kosovo. Still there I think.

Unfortunately the largest deployment of Turkish forces has been to Cyprus I believe necessitating a UN mission to keep the Greeks and the Turks apart on the island. The Turks invaded Cyprus in 1963. The Cypriots are mostly of Greek origin but there is a large minority of Turks.

The UN Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus has been there since 1964. They force the two sides to respect the buffer zone and to ensure that the ceasefire holds.

From 1964 until 1993 about 25,000 Canadians rotated into Cyprus to keep the two sides from fighting. A few Canadians are still part of this international UN mission

I don't know what that says about the Turks as NATO allies.

Cheers,

George

(1945-1991) Cold War    
 Forum Ads from Google