(1945-1991) Cold War    
AuthorMessage
BWilson

top 5
E-9 Cmd Sgt Major

Berlin 1967
Posted on: 9/17/2017 5:26:11 AM

Quote:
The RAF was born out of campus anger over the unprovoked shooting of a young student protestor, Benno Ohnesorg, during a demo in West Berlin in the summer of 1967. His killer, Karl-Heinz Kurras, was a right-wing cop, a veteran of Hitler’s army, who became a stand-in for everything about the country that radical students hated. Their outrage over Ohnesorg’s death mounted when Kurras got no jail time for the murder. In response, their most radical wing went underground and took to terrorism.

More than three decades after Ohnesorg’s death, it turned out that Kurras was, in fact, a longtime and highly productive Stasi secret agent. The fascist cop turned out to be an ardent anti-fascist and East German hero. This stunning revelation turned recent German history on its head and raised awkward questions about what really happened in 1967.
[Read More]

 Interesting (and vile).

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
top 10
E-9 Sergeant Major

Re: Berlin 1967
Posted on: 9/17/2017 10:53:54 PM
Bill, I am assuming the RAF in your quote is the Red Army Faction (or something similar) rather than the Royal Air Force.

The specific story you tell is fascinating and a bit spooky, and the idea that right-wing behaviour by a left-wing agent might advance rage and disruption is a cautionary tale. The link you offer is just a "teaser", I guess, to suggest that the US is increasingly in danger of buying into an extreme-left movement developed by a left-wing group who are boosting right-wing events and procedures.

I think the US has bought in. I think this kind of manipulation is everywhere. But I think the US must take responsibility for an artificially sponsored climate of disobedience. It's got me looking for my bead necklace, to be honest.

And I ask why the political developments of our current society might be any different than those of the Cold War. Our politicians play the same games. Enemies are still required to give our nation focus. Inequalities of one kind or another still provide much of the cultural dynamic of our societies. We remain in the hands of our legislators, without specifying which nation we're talking about. And their values are driven by cycles totally separated from those they are supposed to represent.

Massively sadly, IMHO Report from Iron Mountain (1967) is still a viable paradigm for western culture. That volume, you might remember, suggested that if the Cold War ever ended and peace threatened to break out, one solution to the the impact of such a challenge to stasis might be the reimposition of slavery! Jonathan Swift, eat your heart out!

Gotta go.

Cheers
Brian G

---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

(1945-1991) Cold War    
 Forum Ads from Google