You are not signed in.
The current time is: 12/14/2017 7:59:48 AM
 (1863) Battle of Gettysburg
AuthorMessage
Scott Brown
, MA, USA
I miss this place!
Posted on: 11/14/2017 7:07:21 PM
I learned an awful lot here over the years from very some knowledgeable members, and am in disbelief that there hasn't been a new post in over two months...

Allow me to bring up a perennial topic once again and pose the question....

What draws you to Gettysburg and why?

Regards,
Scott B.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
Re: I miss this place!
Posted on: 11/14/2017 10:28:39 PM
Wow Scott,

Your right there hasn't been a post on the "Battle of Gettysburg", since August! What's up with that? As far as your question, What draws me to Gettysburg, & why? Well it's tougher on me, living way over in Michigan, 640 miles, close to a 12 hour drive! I have been to Gettysburg National Battlefield Park a few times, but I sure wished I lived a lot closer. It is a great place, the Battlefield is unbelievably kept up, If it can be said that a place where so many brave Americans died can be beautiful, it certainly is! The battle itself was so important, so closely contested, so complicated, fought over 3 long days, longer if you count the pre-&-post battle maneuvers by both armies. You look at the great leaders on both sides in the officers involved! Someone from MHO once said the more I learn about Gettysburg, I realize the more I have yet to learn! (I believe it was Jim Cameron) (he said something like that?)

I love Gettysburg, hope to be back there in the near future!
Regards,
Dave

BTW Can the Pats do it again??
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

tom ryan
Bethany Beach, DE, USA
Re: I miss this place!
Posted on: 11/15/2017 10:54:29 PM
Scott, Gettysburg has a certain magic to it. I feel it when I get close to the town, and notice the difference driving away from the area. Years ago, while still living in Maryland, I spent a lot of time in Gettysburg attending seminars and musters sponsored by the Friends and the park personnel. Have gotten older and live further away, so do not get there as often anymore. The past year or so, I have gone up to do book signings several times at the bookstore, and to give talks. While there, I always take time to drive around the battlefield and surrounding area, and almost always discover something new. Most recently, my wife and I did a self-guided tour of Culp's Hill. Hadn't been there for a few years.

Favorite spots include LRT, National Cemetery, and the stone wall area where Picket's Charge ended.

Years ago, I went there on the first Saturday in June for the annual work day for several years. Remember scraping the picket fence around the Sherfy House, painting the Paterson barn, and another year the Culp barn. Painted the wrought iron fence around Evergreen Cemetery, and white washed the fence at the Eisenhower Farm, among other jobs.

Those were the good old days. Can't do that sort of thing much anymore.

But, Gettysburg will always be a special place, and I often encourage people who have not been there to go and find out for themselves.

Tom