You are not signed in.
The current time is: 2/22/2018 1:50:53 AM
 (1863) Battle of Gettysburg
AuthorMessage
Larry Purtell
, USA
Possible mention of Henry Wentz?
Posted on: 1/17/2018 8:49:23 AM
From the New York Daily Herald. July 11,1863.

---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
Re: Possible mention of Henry Wentz?
Posted on: 1/17/2018 9:13:31 AM
Hi Larry,

The results of the Battle of Gettysburg, are a bit inflated by the southern press here! I didn't read anything on Henry Wentz in the articles?? But you certainly are giving Sherri some good historical reading material!

Cheers,
MD
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Larry Purtell
, USA
Posted on: 1/17/2018 9:21:25 AM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

The results of the Battle of Gettysburg, are a bit inflated by the southern press here! I didn't read anything on Henry Wentz in the articles?? But you certainly are giving Sherri some good historical reading material!

Cheers,
MD
--Michigan Dave

They mention an incident of a rebel battery shelling the parents home of the battery commander. Sure sounds like the Wentz story with a slight twist.
---------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
Posted on: 1/17/2018 4:13:08 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Cheers,
MD
--Michigan Dave

M.D.,

Regarding the battle results being "inflated by the southern press", look at the dates of their reports. It was not
until the middle of July when Richmond started getting accurate reports as to what transpired. Until then, the Richmond
papers had to rely on battle news from Union newspapers, Baltimore in particular.

Best Regards,

Greg
---------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt