MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login
Welcome to
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 3/24/2018 4:22:53 AM
 (1939-1945) WWII Battles
brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
Looking for reading suggestions for the Pacific War.
Posted on: 2/26/2018 9:23:18 PM
A friend – an off-and-on MHO member but not really a military buff – is looking for a book on the Pacific war. Specifically, for a book that would cover Japan's aggression before PH.

Background and fleshing out a bit, he is a third-level government bureaucrat with academic credentials (a doctorate in a branch of statistics) and a strong philosophical mind. He has been reading recently about the inter-war years in Europe (his first degree was in journalism, and I recently introduced him to Howard K Smith's Last Train From Berlin. Smith was the moderator of the rather ugly 1968 Buckley-Vidal so-called debates, and my friend and I had been watching a rather patchy documentary on that emnity.). Now he's reading Shirer's Berlin Diary) and has realized he knows nothing about the corresponding time period in the East. I suggested he should start at least as early as the Manchurian Incident.

My first thought was Total War: Causes and Courses of the Second World War, the Calvocoressi and Wint volume. I read it some years ago, and thought it pretty sound at the time. Major negative is that it is now 45 years old. Minor negative is that I have two copies, but both are in my Penguin collection (as both a Penguin and a Pelican). I do not lend books from that collection, even to friends.

Are there any equivalent volumes that are as tightly argued, as well-written, as relatively objective but are the result of more recent research that anybody knows about?

I would love some suggestions, if any body out there has some thoughts.

Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
Re: Looking for reading suggestions for the Pacific War.
Posted on: 3/13/2018 9:38:27 AM
Sorry Brian,

I should have responded sooner, it is a good topic however!?

(some suggestions)

[Read More]

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

St. Louis, MO, USA
Re: Looking for reading suggestions for the Pacific War.
Posted on: 3/13/2018 10:13:45 AM
Jeffrey Record, A War It Was Always Going To Lose.

John Toland, The Rising Sun

Saburo Ienaga, The Pacific War, 1931-1945

Eri Hotta, Japan 1941 "The Political Strategy Prior to the Outbreak of War", Five Parts. Written by the surviving Japanese who took part in the decision to go to war.

You might also look at http:\\