MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 11/18/2017 12:57:25 AM
 General History
AuthorMessage
BWilson
, Posts: 3438
Name of current era of Western history ?
Posted on: 2/12/2017 10:44:09 AM
 Looking at this --

*1939-1945 Second World War
*1945-1989 Cold War or Postwar

 So what would a good descriptor for 1990-2015 or so be (besides generic terms like "modern era")

 Maybe --

*1990-2000 The Hollow Peace
*2001-2017 West versus Rest ?

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
Re: Name of current era of Western history ?
Posted on: 2/12/2017 6:18:19 PM
Damn good question. I've been sitting here playing with ideas as if it is a sensible way to spend my Sunday.

I particularly like the sound of your option for 1990-2000, maybe because of the echoes of T.S. Eliot' melancholic "Hollow Men".

That decade was simply a time after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Did tensions lessen or merely shift? I honestly don't know. Nagging at me is the realization that the first Gulf War ran for a number of months through 1990 and early 1991. And that the Iran-US disagreement of 1979 led to Iran-Iraq conflict, but also to a massive up-arming of one Saddam Hussein under, at kindest, the old "the enemy of my enemy" dogma.

Your "West versus Rest" doesn't ring true to me, though that might just reflect my obstinacy concerning what the hell is going on. a "west vs the rest" seems to underplay issues in Eastern Europe, where NATO is placing an ever tighter collar around the Russian Federation, While Russian encroachments in Ukraine and Russian threats in the Balkan against former SSRs and Poland are challenging (just read some of the posts being written for at least an indication of the potential threat), at the same time there is talk of an alliance by the US and the Russian Federation against ... well, against what? Islamic extremism? Has anyone noted the tightening of Terkeys Erdogen's noose on Turkish dissidents? Terkeys Redogen is, at present, BFF with the same Mr Putin there is talk about having as an ally against extreme Islam.

I wouldn't want to say we're facing a "changing of the guard" from West to Islamic. At present, that's ludicrous. But we have Saudis pounding the bejaysus out of Yemenis, and Iranians hammering ISIS and Iraqis while supporting Mr Assad, a marvellous latter-day Shah. We have "the usual suspects" from the West in the fray against ISIS (often with no consistent commitment), while ... well, the absurdity goes on and on.

For the entire 25 year period from 1990 to the present, I might suggest this is a period without direction, whether nationally, religiously or whatever.

How about:
• "The Age of Reassessment"
• "The Age of Realignment", or even'
• "The age of Uncertainty".

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
Posted on: 2/12/2017 8:55:51 PM
Bill and Brian,

I find this interesting as in recent years european historians ( including the British historian Sir Ian Kershaw ) have started to rethink the chronology.

Anglo-centric history still hangs in the 1914-1918 for WW1 and 1939-1945 for WW2. Those with a more European perspective have started giving WW1 1914-1923 and refering to 1914-1945 in Europe as the "Second Thirty Years War".
The date 1923 as the end of the Russian Revolution and the founding of the Turkish Republic. This would also include the the various wars and border disputes in eastern Europe largely ignored by Anglo-centric historians which put the current geopolitical situation in it's historical context.

Quote:
For the entire 25 year period from 1990 to the present, I might suggest this is a period without direction, whether nationally, religiously or whatever.

I think we'll need to be in the future another 25 years ( and God knows how that will look like) but it will be future others , who probably think completely different from us, who will put their perspective on it and give it a name.

I think those living in the past were pretty much confused and lived their present as "without direction" even if we can put names to it like " Age of Enlightenment " or "Age of " Revolution " or "Age of Dictatorships ".

I remember standing on the Berlin Wall on 9th November 1989 and just thinking WTF.Due to my job, I sensed the importance of it far more than those around me just celebrating but what the consequences might be no-one had a clue.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

James W.
Ballina, Australia
Posted on: 2/13/2017 12:39:37 AM
Militarily, "The Bush Dynasty Crusade"...

Economically, "The Triumph of Globalized Greed".

Socially, "Cheap Consumerism/Data, Opiates of the Masses".

BWilson
Posted on: 2/13/2017 2:17:20 AM
Brian,

 I'm not fond of West vs. Rest. I thought at first "the North and the South" began to describe it, but that doesn't take into account the additional east:west ideological and minor wars confrontation. Perhaps "Death of the Old West" is more on target. The old certainties are no longer so certain, and even within the West, we have no shortage of people eager to dismantle the structure of Western civilization with no serious plan for anything better ... and that comment includes people from every reach of the political spectrum.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

BWilson
Posted on: 2/13/2017 2:19:22 AM
Trevor,

 Know how you feel. Well, I was in Texas when I heard about the Wall coming down, but was only two years on from my military service in Germany. It was a moment of both wonder, and "watch out ...".

Cheers

BW
---------------

BWilson
Posted on: 2/13/2017 2:22:12 AM
James,

 I would quibble that "socially", the distractions of materialism reach back further than 2001. I like "triumph of globalized greed"; it illustrates what IMO globalism is really about. "Militarily", perhaps "Superpower Alone: America into the Vacuum" might work.

Cheers

BW
---------------

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
Posted on: 2/13/2017 8:23:27 AM
Or "The Era of Middle Eastern Procrastination and Genocidal Eruptions"

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

phil andrade
London, UK
Posted on: 2/13/2017 3:29:35 PM
How about the age of obesity ?

Regards, Phil
---------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"

"That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."

Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes