The current time is: 11/21/2017 1:21:22 AM
 Visiting ACW Battlefields
AuthorMessage
littlepowell
, SC, USA
Civil War Battlefield/Site Bucket List
Posted on: 8/23/2017 3:15:07 PM
Been to:

Gettysburg - Been there too many times to count. It's awesome of course. It's the Civil War enthusiast's Disney World.
Antietam - Twice. The first time just passing through, the 2nd time I did a two day in depth tour and it became my new favorite battlefield to visit. The cornfield, area of the AM fighting, the sunken road, Burnside's Bridge, all amazing.
South Mountain - Visiting the gaps, seeing the incredible odds the few Confederates were up against, the bravery of those boys.
Harpers Ferry - Another must visit if you can, great place to spend a half-day as part of an Antietam trip. Not a whole lot to see from a battle perspective but the preserved town is very interesting and charming.
Chickamauga - Went last year. Beautifully preserved battlefield. Several areas to obtain good sight lines, especially Horseshoe Ridge. Excellent place to visit.
Chancellorsville - Very wooded so only a few areas for sight lines. However, Hazel Grove/Fairview, the area of Jackson's flank attack, excellent.
Petersburg - The Crater was a little underwhelming, but I found the overall battlefield experience was great--especially the well preserved earth works.
Brandy Station - One of my favorite battles and battlefields. Well preserved, many areas practically untouched by civilization. Bufords Knoll is probably my single favorite ACW battlefield spot.
Fredericksburg - Only got to tour the stone wall on Marye's Heights. It was sad to see how small of a portion is preserved, and it's near impossible to imagine what the battle was like. But it was still a great experience to tour and touch the famous stone wall.
Charleston - Ft Sumter, the battery, Ft Lamar. Not the same depth as the big battlefields, but should be on everyone's bucket list.
New Market - Very small but a great place for a quick visit if you are traveling on highway 81. Amazing the bravery of those VMI boys/Cadets.
Appomattox - Touring the small cluster of buildings that made up the town, standing in the Parlor of the McLean house where the surrender took place. Incredibly moving!
Jackson's Shrine at Guinea Station - It's a small house with the room he died in, and that's about it. But the drive to it is the best part. One can almost hear the wagon that carried the general bumping along the narrow dirt roads.

Still on my list:

Manassas - Must visit for obvious reasons. I think I'm more interested in the 2nd Manassas battlefield than the 1st, especially the area of the railroad cut.
Cedar Mountain - Not a particularly famous battle, but one of Jackson's greatest victories.
The Richmond Battlefields - I understand there's not much left of many of them, but I'd love to visit what I can, especially Malvern Hill.
Shiloh - Because it's Shiloh.. The Hornets Nest, Pittsburgh Landing, etc. Must visit one day!
Spotsylvania Court House - I was right near it but didn't have a chance to stop by. Definitely on my list.
Wilderness - Another battlefield I drove through but didn't have time to stop. I imagine it's similar to Chancellorsville--very wooded so not many areas of sight lines.
---------------
http://www.scourgeofwar.com/ - Historical tactical combat games for PC.

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
Re: Civil War Battlefield/Site Bucket List
Posted on: 8/23/2017 5:07:16 PM
Antietam is my favorite battlefield to tour. The area is not as cluttered w/monumentation as Gettysburg, or commercially developed.

I agree with your assessment of Harpers Ferry. Its definitely a must see.

Sailor's Creek and Olustee are interesting sites to visit, both very rural and the terrain is close to the way the soldiers saw it.

I believe the NPS has a 75-mile driving tour of the various Richmond area battlefield. Though a lot of the sites
have been developed, you will see numerous breastworks and tell-tale reminders of the battles that occurred there.
---------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 8/24/2017 9:45:02 AM

Quote:
Antietam is my favorite battlefield to tour. The area is not as cluttered w/monumentation as Gettysburg, or commercially developed.

I agree with your assessment of Harpers Ferry. Its definitely a must see.

Sailor's Creek and Olustee are interesting sites to visit, both very rural and the terrain is close to the way the soldiers saw it.

I believe the NPS has a 75-mile driving tour of the various Richmond area battlefield. Though a lot of the sites
have been developed, you will see numerous breastworks and tell-tale reminders of the battles that occurred there.
--Gregory C. White

I agree about Antietam. It is certainly more "off the beaten path" than Gettysburg. The town feels more like it would have in the 1860's. I think the most remarkable thing about the battlefield is one cannot imagine how hilly the terrain is unless you see it in person. No wonder Lee chose the ground to defend. Every 50-100 yards there's another hill or ridge to fall back to!

I'll never forget my visit to Harpers Ferry. We went in April which isn't exactly a tourist season, so we were practically the only ones there. Walking the cobble streets, visiting the various shops/museums. Even my wife loved it there.

I'll have to add Sailor's Creek and Olustee to my bucket list. Rural battlefields are my favorite, close to untouched.

Speaking of rural, Ft. Lamar in Charleston is definitely one of those. It's the site of The Battle of Secessionville in 1862. Yes that was the real name of the town the fort occupied. Even though the fort is overgrown, one can still get a good sense of it's battle time appearance with the well preserved earthworks.

---------------

Dave G
Halifax, NS, Canada
Posted on: 8/24/2017 9:56:56 AM
Mosby Driving Tours: I've been reading up on John S. Mosby lately and would like to check out some locations in northern Virginia & Maryland. Mosby's Rangers (or Raiders or originally Conglomerates) operated from January 1863 to the end of the war and carried out an amazing number of raids and attacks on the Feds. I was able to get all three issues of the Blue & Gray magazines related to his activities and there are lots of tour routes available particularly at this website [Read More]

---------------
Dave G

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
Posted on: 8/24/2017 11:30:02 AM

Quote:
Mosby Driving Tours: I've been reading up on John S. Mosby lately and would like to check out some locations in northern Virginia & Maryland. Mosby's Rangers (or Raiders or originally Conglomerates) operated from January 1863 to the end of the war and carried out an amazing number of raids and attacks on the Feds. I was able to get all three issues of the Blue & Gray magazines related to his activities and there are lots of tour routes available particularly at this website [Read More]

--Dave G

I occasionally see ads, perhaps in the monthly publication "Civil War News", for multi-day bus tours of Mosby sites, led by Mosby scholars.
---------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 8/25/2017 5:44:17 PM
Sounds interesting and thanks for the link (added to favorites), Gregory. I've always been an admirer of The Gray Ghost.
---------------

Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan, MI, USA
Posted on: 8/27/2017 9:33:01 AM
I've been to Gettysburg, Antietam, Vicksburg, Appomattox, Charleston Forts, Harpers Ferry, & Savannah, St Albans, Lookout Mtn. plus a few lesser battles.

Would not mind seeing any of the other major battlefields!

love CW history!
MD

Also just returned from Johnson's Island, Ohio, CSA Prison Camp, fascinating place!

BTW Bucket List Song, :}

[Read More]
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

George
Centre Hastings, ON, Canada
Posted on: 8/27/2017 11:54:32 AM
How do you get to Johnson's Island, Dave?

George

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
Posted on: 8/27/2017 12:04:36 PM

Quote:
I've been to Gettysburg, Antietam, Vicksburg, Appomattox, Charleston Forts, Harpers Ferry, & Savannah, St Albans, Lookout Mtn. plus a few lesser battles.

Would not mind seeing any of the other major battlefields!

love CW history!
MD

Also just returned from Johnson's Island, Ohio, CSA Prison Camp, fascinating place!

BTW Bucket List Song, :}

[Read More]
--Michigan Dave

M.D.,

I have a kinsman that died @ Johnson's Island, and is buried there.

How do you get there? Do any of the POW barracks remain?

Any guided tours?

Greg
---------------

Michigan Dave
Posted on: 8/27/2017 4:42:02 PM
Hi Greg, & George,

Even though Johnson's is an Island, they have built a causeway out to it and now for a $ 2 charge you can drive out there!

[Read More]

While in the area, I recommend seeing the International Peace Memorial commending Commodore Perry's victory over the British in the War of 1812, & Rutherford B Hayes Presidential Museum & Home!

Cheers,
MD

BTW Greg, it seems you can read most all of the tomb-stones so you may find your kin's grave! Also none of the actual prison is left, but the forms of 2 earthen forts?

[Read More]
---------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."

Dave G
Halifax, NS, Canada
Posted on: 8/28/2017 8:10:22 AM
Been to:
[Read More]

Anyone else have their "battlefield collection" on a map?

I still want to see "Mosby's Confederacy" and whatever is left of Morgan's Raid through Ohio in July 1863.
---------------
Dave G

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
Posted on: 8/28/2017 5:15:39 PM
DaveG,

You amaze me.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 8/28/2017 6:22:35 PM

Quote:
Been to:
[Read More]

I still want to see "Mosby's Confederacy" and whatever is left of Morgan's Raid through Ohio in July 1863.
--Dave G

Besides the Mosby tours that you're planning on taking, is there a Civil War spot you haven't visited? That's quite an impressive list!
---------------

Dave G
Halifax, NS, Canada
Posted on: 8/28/2017 8:55:14 PM
I still haven't made it west of the Mississippi River (except for the Little Bighorn which is not the Civil War anyway).
Maybe I'll still live long enough to see Pea Ridge, Picacho Pass and Palmito Ranch.
---------------
Dave G

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
Posted on: 8/28/2017 8:56:56 PM

Quote:
Been to:
[Read More]

--Dave G

Dave G.,

That's an impressive list. Looks like you need to spend some quality time
in my home state of Georgia. Plenty to see here.

Best Regards,

Greg
---------------

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 8/29/2017 4:55:24 PM
Greg - I may have a chance to hit the Atlanta area battlefields before years end. Have you been to Kennesaw Mountain? If so what did you think?
---------------

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
Posted on: 8/29/2017 5:21:32 PM
Gentlemen,

For someone who has never been able to visit ACW battlefields - and always dreamed of it - photos please.

Over decades, I have visited so many european battlefields, but because I was never very good with a camera I never bothered. Who would have believed how technology would developed.I regret it intensely.

Trevor
---------------
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie

Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 8/29/2017 5:38:39 PM

Quote:

For someone who has never been able to visit ACW battlefields - and always dreamed of it - photos please.

Trevor
--scoucer

Ask you shall receive my friend. My photos are kind of scattered around different sites, hard drives, etc. But I'll be happy to gather a few and post this week.
---------------

Dave G
Halifax, NS, Canada
Posted on: 8/29/2017 5:41:30 PM

Quote:
Gentlemen,
Trevor
--scoucer

On my battlefield map, I had a photo included for almost every site. They were linked to Photobucket and I noticed when I posted the link that they were all gone or reduced to postage stamp size. I'm slowly getting them reattached directly. I guess about a third of them now have photos re-attached, but they do not show up on that map very bigly.
---------------
Dave G

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
Posted on: 8/29/2017 7:57:40 PM

Quote:
Greg - I may have a chance to hit the Atlanta area battlefields before years end. Have you been to Kennesaw Mountain? If so what did you think?
--littlepowell

I drive by Kennesaw Mountain daily. Its definitely worth a visit. Best to tour it during the week, as it is quite busy
w/pedestrian and car traffic on weekends and hard to find parking near the visitor center (VC).

Not far from Kennesaw Mountain is Pickett's Mill State Historic site. It has a VC, and basically is a self-guided walking tour
through the woods showing key sites of the battle.

Also nearby is the Museum of Southern Locomotive History in old, downtown Kennesaw which houses the famed locomotive, "The General",
the objective in the 1862 "Great Chase" w/Andrews raiders. Lots of memorabilia involving Andrews and his men.

In 2018 the Atlanta History Center will feature the refurbished cyclorama painting depicting the Battle of Atlanta. It used to be
housed in Atlanta's Grant Park. The AHS also has the locomotive "The Texas", which pursued "The General". The AHS also features the
impressive DuBose Family collection of artifacts found @ local battlefields.

Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta is also worth visiting. Lots of Confederate notable are buried there. I believe Andrews and his raiders
were hanged there. It served as Hood's headquarters during Battle of Atlanta.

Though not in metro Atlanta, Chickamauga is a must visit, just off I-75 and below Chattanooga and the state line.

Nearly all of the Atlanta area battlefields have been obliterated and developed, and what is left of Atlanta's
history continues to be destroyed.

Best Regards,

Greg
---------------

scoucer
Berlin, Germany
Posted on: 8/30/2017 6:39:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Trevor
--scoucer

Ask you shall receive my friend. My photos are kind of scattered around different sites, hard drives, etc. But I'll be happy to gather a few and post this week.
--littlepowell

Wow. Thanks. I didnt mean tomorrow. I just wanted to remind anybody visiting sites just what photos can mean for others who dont have the chance.

I remember how much I enjoyed your South Mountain photos. A real joy.Hope to reciprocate. All part of what MHO is about.

Trevor
---------------

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 8/30/2017 10:47:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:
--littlepowell

I drive by Kennesaw Mountain daily. Its definitely worth a visit. Best to tour it during the week, as it is quite busy
w/pedestrian and car traffic on weekends and hard to find parking near the visitor center (VC).

Not far from Kennesaw Mountain is Pickett's Mill State Historic site. It has a VC, and basically is a self-guided walking tour
through the woods showing key sites of the battle.

Also nearby is the Museum of Southern Locomotive History in old, downtown Kennesaw which houses the famed locomotive, "The General",
the objective in the 1862 "Great Chase" w/Andrews raiders. Lots of memorabilia involving Andrews and his men.

In 2018 the Atlanta History Center will feature the refurbished cyclorama painting depicting the Battle of Atlanta. It used to be
housed in Atlanta's Grant Park. The AHS also has the locomotive "The Texas", which pursued "The General". The AHS also features the
impressive DuBose Family collection of artifacts found @ local battlefields.

Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta is also worth visiting. Lots of Confederate notable are buried there. I believe Andrews and his raiders
were hanged there. It served as Hood's headquarters during Battle of Atlanta.

Though not in metro Atlanta, Chickamauga is a must visit, just off I-75 and below Chattanooga and the state line.

Nearly all of the Atlanta area battlefields have been obliterated and developed, and what is left of Atlanta's
history continues to be destroyed.

Best Regards,

Greg
--Gregory C. White

Great info, thanks Greg! Yes Chickamauga is excellent. I had a full day there last Summer. Two of my kids enjoyed the Wilder tower, but my 12 year old (who is afraid of heights) barely made it in the entrance when he turned around "nope!" It's a lot taller than you think!
---------------

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 9/1/2017 7:22:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Trevor
--scoucer

--littlepowell

Wow. Thanks. I didnt mean tomorrow. I just wanted to remind anybody visiting sites just what photos can mean for others who dont have the chance.

I remember how much I enjoyed your South Mountain photos. A real joy.Hope to reciprocate. All part of what MHO is about.

Trevor

--scoucer

I've been trying to gather my photos the last couple of days. I have most of them hosted on Photobucket, which has gone WAY downhill the last year or so. It used to be the premiere site to host photos, now it's an ad-infested mess.. I not even able to download any of my photo albums.. I have opened a support case. Hope to get it resolved soon.
---------------

morris crumley
Lawrenceville, GA, USA
Posted on: 9/1/2017 11:22:38 AM

Quote:
--littlepowell

As Greg said, Oakland is a good visit. It was indeed the location where Andrews was hung, and Hood viewed the battle of Atlanta from there...but it is also a great visit because of all the famous folks buried there...Bobby Jones, Margaret Mitchell, five Confederate Generals etc.

If you enjoy a pleasant hike, then I love to hike the Sope Creek Paper Mill trail, near the Chattahoochee River in Cobb County. The trail has fine views of the rock ruins left of the destroyed Paper Mill, and the trail is the area of where Sherman "got his cavalry across" the Chattahoochee River to the Atlanta side. An often overlooked spot to reconnoiter.

As Gregory said, hard to find un-developed over Civil War battlefield sites in Atlanta.

Have a great time.

Respects, Morris

---------------
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."

BWilson
, Posts: 3449
Posted on: 10/4/2017 4:00:42 AM
 I checked out the Paper Mill ruins on the internet. Very nice, thanks for mentioning that trail, Morris.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 10/9/2017 9:50:31 AM
Dave or anyone else - What did you think of Vicksburg? I may have a chance to stop in for a few hours on a road trip next month. It will add about an hour to the drive but if it's well worth the visit, I'd love to go.
---------------

Dave G
Halifax, NS, Canada
Posted on: 10/9/2017 8:36:47 PM
I would like to check out the Mississippi battlefields near Vicksburg, but they have been outta my range. The main driving tour at Vicksburg is about 16 miles long along with a number of stops like the redoubts, the Cairo gunboat and a separate city-owned tour south of the National Park. It seems like it would take about three days to get a looksee at everything there -- also including Big Black River, Champion Hill, Raymond, Grand Gulf, etc. so I cannot see this happening in the near future. I would like to do another run at some of the battlefields near Shiloh -- Davis Bridge, Corinth, Iuka, Brice's Cross Roads, Tupelo -- now that I have a bit more insight on those battles.
---------------
Dave G

Michigan Dave
Posted on: 10/10/2017 1:21:05 PM

Quote:
Dave or anyone else - What did you think of Vicksburg? I may have a chance to stop in for a few hours on a road trip next month. It will add about an hour to the drive but if it's well worth the visit, I'd love to go.
--littlepowell

Hi lp,

Not sure which Dave you meant? Anyway it's been awhile since I was at the Vicksburg NMP, but I do recall it as being a very nice National Battlefield Park well worth the trip, kind of like the Gettysburg of the West, certainly as important of a battle during the Civil War. A few of the highlights are in these videos

[Read More]

[Read More]

I'd visit again in a heart-beat!
Regards,
MD

BTW here is a film on the area in general.

[Read More]
---------------

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 10/11/2017 11:23:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:
--littlepowell

Hi lp,

Not sure which Dave you meant? Anyway it's been awhile since I was at the Vicksburg NMP, but I do recall it as being a very nice National Battlefield Park well worth the trip, kind of like the Gettysburg of the West, certainly as important of a battle during the Civil War. A few of the highlights are in these videos

[Read More]

[Read More]

I'd visit again in a heart-beat!
Regards,
MD

BTW here is a film on the area in general.

[Read More]
--Michigan Dave

Hi Dave - Yes I was referring to you since you mentioned you've been there.

Thanks for the links! I heard the area around the Shirley house is one of the coolest spots on any civil war battlefield. One can get a real sense of the fighting that went on there with the remnants of the earthworks etc.
---------------

Gregory C. White
Canton, GA, USA
Posted on: 10/11/2017 6:22:52 PM

Quote:
--littlepowell

Though the scope of my personal interest are the battlefields that saw action by
the Army of Northern Virginia, my Dad and I made a visit to Vicksburg a few years
back. I hired a NPS guide for a 3-hour tour of the battlefield, which was more
than worth it. He drove my vehicle, and we made many stops where he would explain in
detail what we were looking at, and what happened. Not sure an hour or two stop in
Vicksburg would be worth it. There really is a lot to see and absorb.

We also visited Jefferson Davis's home, "Beauvoir", on the coast near Biloxi.

Also drove several miles of the Natchez Trace highway, which starts in Natchez, and
ends in Nashville. One day I want to drive the entire length, from start to finish.

Best Regards,

Greg

---------------

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 10/11/2017 6:40:48 PM

Quote:
Not sure an hour or two stop in
Vicksburg would be worth it. There really is a lot to see and absorb.

Thanks Greg. Yeah the more I look into it, the more I'm thinking of taking an extra day so I can take in everything.
---------------

littlepowell
, SC, USA
Posted on: 10/19/2017 11:24:45 AM
So I've got a Vicksburg trip planned out. I think a day and a half will be sufficient to see everything. I'm also throwing in a ghost tour for the misses. She likes history, but isn't a nutcase like I am.. lol. So the ghost tour will help... We did one in Gettysburg several years ago. While I thought it was pretty campy, she enjoyed it thoroughly.
---------------