MHO Home   Forum Home   Help   Register   Login

Welcome to MilitaryHistoryOnline.com.
You are not signed in.
The current time is: 10/24/2017 5:22:10 AM
 (1914-1918) WWI Battles
AuthorMessage
MartinST81
Prague, Czech Republic
Did Josef Unrug (Joseph von Unruh) commanded an U-Boat during WWI?
Posted on: 8/12/2017 8:51:25 AM
Hi guys,

I´m working on the article about naval operations during the German invasion of Poland in 1939. However, I´m interested in WWI record of the Polish Navy leader, vice-admiral Josef Unrug (his Germanized name was Joseph von Unruh). In many articles, there is stated that he served in German Navy and "commanded a U-boat during WWI". However, I did not find any details about his person in "Kaiserliche Marine U-Boote 1914-1918" and I´m also confused with his record on uboat.net . Where they said that:

"he did not actually take official command of a U-boat but he had gone through all the motions (training, experience etc.) of commanding one."

but also:

"During WWI Jósef Unrug commanded 3 German U-boats; UB 25, UC 11 and UC 28."

Do any of you guys know any detail about his WWI service in the German Navy?

Thank you!
---------------
"One hawk chases away many crows" 313th RAF squadron (Czechoslovak) motto

anemone
DONCASTER S. YORKS, UK
Re: Did Josef Unrug (Joseph von Unruh) commanded an U-Boat during WWI?
Posted on: 8/12/2017 9:54:45 AM
Martin-uboat net is a WW2 website; and what you have got from there is probably all that they have got on him.

You do not say where the info for his three commands came from; but I can tell you that SM UB-25 was a German Type UB II submarine or U-boat in the German Imperial Navy (German: Kaiserliche Marine) during World War 1 as are the other two mentioned.

However Happy Hunting!!! Suggestion -Google each of his Uboats by serial number UB ,UC etc.to see whether further info is to be had.

Regards

Jim
---------------
Pro Patria Saepe Pro Rege Semper

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
Posted on: 8/12/2017 2:28:05 PM
I believe he served on submarines for a short while, but never actually took command of one in operational conditions, but was transferred to the Submarine officer school in 1915, and took command of the school flotilla from 1917- according to Polish sources.

K

Quote:
W roku 1915, podczas pierwszej wojny światowej, rozpoczął służbę na okrętach podwodnych, wcześniej kończąc Oficerską Szkołę Okrętów Podwodnych. W tym samym roku dostał awans na kapitana marynarki.
W grudniu 1917 roku kapitan Józef Unrug jest już szefem flotylli szkolnych okrętów podwodnych i szefem szkoły dla marynarzy I techników podwodnych w Kilonii. We wrześniu 1918 roku, kapitan Unrug otrzymał Krzyż Żelazny I klasy

---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

MartinST81
Prague, Czech Republic
Posted on: 8/13/2017 1:20:42 AM
Thank you for your replies guys. And thanks for posting the Polish source kali. This is exactly what I was looking for, I had a suspicion that he had some non-combat command and the school flotila perfectly explains the fact that I couldn't find anything about his commands. Thank you again!
---------------
"One hawk chases away many crows" 313th RAF squadron (Czechoslovak) motto

BWilson
, Posts: 3332
Posted on: 8/21/2017 6:09:35 AM
Martin,

 Welcome to MHO! Look forward to your contributions, a Czech viewpoint will be something novel here.

Cheers

BW
---------------
With occasional, fatigued glances at life's rear-view mirror from the other side of time.

Society's righteous paranoia lows profoundly. -- random wisdom of a computer

kaii
Edinburgh, UK
Posted on: 8/21/2017 5:29:10 PM

Quote:
Martin,

 Welcome to MHO! Look forward to your contributions, a Czech viewpoint will be something novel here.

Cheers

BW
--BWilson

Welcome indeed Martin!

from your profile
Quote:
Interested in science, history, ice hockey and beer
it sounds like you will fit right in here at MHO!

K
---------------
A fool and his money are soon elected.

brian grafton
Victoria, BC, Canada
Posted on: 9/18/2017 7:02:47 PM
Only if he drops the science and history, Kai!

Welcome, Martin. Always good to see new faces.

Cheers
Brian G
---------------
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly.

"The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.