|19th Georgia Infantry (CSA) |
|Name: Henry M Williams||Rank: 1st Lieutenant ||Company: F|
HENRY M. WILLIAMS, physician and surgeon, Bowdon, Carroll Co., Ga.,
son of John B. and Mary (Strother) Williams, was born in Meriwether county, Ga., Aug. 5, 1834- His great-grandfather was a native of Ireland and came to America about the middle of the last century and settled in Virginia. His grandparents, Samuel and Susan Williams, were born in Virginia, migrated thence to South Carolina, and from there they removed, in 1805, to Georgia and settled in Jones county-moving, as was the fashion and the necessity in those days, in ox-carts. Dr. Williams' father was born in 1800 in Edgefield district, S. c., and came with the family to Georgia in 1805. When growing up he only received six months' schooling, but learned a great deal at home by
studying by the light of a pine-knot firelight at night. His lifetime pursuit was that of a farmer, and from choice and necessity he was his own blacksmith, wood-worker, and shoemaker. He removed to and settled in Meriwether county in 1825, where he made himself a good farm and a comfortable home. He was a Primitive Baptist in religion, and in forty years' preaching gained an enviable local reputation. It was his custom on preaching day to carry his shoes with him to the field, where he would work until the last minute, then take his shoes in his hand and go bare-footed until he crossed the last branch, when he would wash his feet, put on his shoes, and go to the church and preach. Returning, he would remove his shoes and walk home bare-footed. Dr. Williams maternal grandfather, John Strother (actually George Strother, John’s son), was a native Georgian. Dr. Williams was reared and attended school at Rocky Mount, in Meriwether county.
The school was of the 'regulation' order of architecture of the period-log house, dirt floor, split-log seats, stick and mud chimney, and square apertures cut through the sides for windows. In 1858 he began the study of medicine, Dr. M. H. Westbrook being his preceptor, and in 1859 he entered the medical college at Nashville, Tenn., attended one course, and commenced the practice. In 1861 he enlisted in Company F (Capt. L Curtis), Nineteenth Georgia regiment (Col. W. W. Boyd Colquitt's brigade. He was in many battles, notably Seven Pines and the seven days fight around Richmond. At the last-named fight he was wounded on the first day and was off duty for ninety days, but immediately on his recovery he returned to his command and participated in the battles of Bunker Hill and Chancellorsville and was afterward. with Gen. Colquitt in Florida in the battle of Olustee, where he was again wounded, this time in the left leg, and disabled for active service. He however, entered the state militia, with which he remained until the surrender. After that he went to Alabama, where he remained a year and then came to Bowdon and located and established himself in his profession – under license. In 1874 he was graduated from Atlanta Medical college. He has continued in the practice at Bowdon, where he has established a fine reputation and secured a large and remunerative practice. He is the leading physician and the highest medical authority in that locality. Dr. Williams was happily married in 1869 to Miss Cora Hight – born and reared in Carroll County- daughter of William Be and Mary (Tolbert) Hight. Mr. Hight was a pioneer, a farmer, and a leading merchant. This union has been blessed with eight children: Anna, Nora, Paul, Ernest, Ida, Jonnie, Willie and Manzie. Dr. Williams is a royal arch Mason, and himself and wife are members of the Baptist church. Anna, Nora and Ernest are members of the Baptist church.
From the book, 'Memoirs of Georgia'. Historical and Biographical Sketches,
published in 1896
|Contact Name: Edwin Williams|
|Contact E-Mail: Click for E-mail|
Please type in your password