User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 16, 1863
Posted on: 7/16/2019 6:34:42 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
morris crumley
Dunwoody
GA USA

July 16, 1863
Posted on: 7/16/2019 11:07:04 AM

So....Longstreet and Ewell were both killed at Gettysburg! Who was left to retreat?

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 16, 1863
Posted on: 7/16/2019 2:40:59 PM

Quote:
So....Longstreet and Ewell were both killed at Gettysburg! Who was left to retreat?

Respects, Morris

The headline more s sensational would have been Lee killed or captured. The media is not much different from today.
Larry
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA

July 16, 1863
Posted on: 7/16/2019 2:46:25 PM

In one of the earlier newspaper accounts it said General Garnett had managed to get away. He was so elusive he still hasn't been found !

Wasn't there a report in the Official Records that reported Jubal Early had been captured ?

As always, I'm enjoying these news nuggets from the past !

Thank you, Larry !

Greg

"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 16, 1863
Posted on: 7/16/2019 3:17:27 PM

Gettysburg was open season on high ranking officers, wasn’t it ?

Civil War battles imposed terrible bloodshed on senior officers ; but I wonder if Gettysburg transcended the norm.

It was a forgivable error, I reckon, to have seen Barksdale stricken and supposed that it was Longstreet .

Intrigued that Garnett’s body was never identified for burial....if the rebel generals killed at Franklin were all recovered for burial, you have to wonder what prevented Garnett’s from being so treated. I suppose that at Franklin it was the rebels who held the field, and were better able - and more disposed - to account for their dead than the yankees, in the aftermath of Gettysburg, were with thousands of enemy corpses. Different seasons impinged here. The heat of battle, in a sultry July, was more than a metaphor....rapid decomposition and the hastiest possible interment must have been a hindrance to identification .

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA

July 16, 1863
Posted on: 7/16/2019 7:27:32 PM

Phil,

I've often wondered if Armistead (d.7/5/1863) was mistaken for Longstreet.

As for Garnett, riding on a horse he certainly was a sizeable target. In the "movie" his horse was seen galloping to the rear. Is that factual? Garnett's corpse and uniform must have really been bloodied and mangled not to be identified.

Best Regards,

Greg
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 16, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 3:04:44 AM

Greg,

Conflicting reports abound about Garnett’s horse and how it behaved.

What catches my eye is the anecdote that Garnett advanced buttoned up in an old blue overcoat.

A corpse enveloped in an overcoat makes the revolting task of burial more bearable : the coat acts as a ready made shroud and platform that enables the burial detail to drag it quickly to the mass grave prepared. Far from taking time to investigate and identify, the yankees might have availed themselves of this opportunity to minimise contact and facilitate disposal.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 16, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 6:35:01 AM

A blue overcoat and a mangled corpse, maybe buried in the national cemetery as an unknown? Certainly a possibility.

Larry
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 16, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 10:01:43 AM

Of the three brigades in Pickett's division, Garnett's was the most fatally stricken.

I allude here to the proportion of killed in action and mortally wounded .

Kemper's command escaped with the lightest damage : ten per cent of the entire number being killed in action or dying from wounds ; and thirty per cent of all the men who were hit being fatally stricken.

Armistead's brigade suffered a fatality rate of fourteen per cent of the entire command ; and, of the men who were hit, thirty two per cent were killed or mortally wounded.

Garnett's figures were : fifteen and a half per cent of the entire strength killed outright or fatally wounded. Thirty five per cent of the men who were hit were fatalities.

Garnett's brigade was the most piled up as it reached the enemy position, its men most heavily massed, and the impact of fire correspondingly deadly. I suspect that this resulted in the dead being densely packed, and the recovery and ID of Garnett's body being more difficult.

Regards, Phil

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC