User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 7:41:26 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 8:50:08 AM

Larry,

What is your source for the snippet regarding hundreds of rebels in the country outside Gettysburg working the harvest?

Thanks!

Greg
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 8:51:18 AM

Hi Larry,

In your new article from back then, it's also neat to see the language used, terms like that (skedaddlers bucktails, & skulkers) would not be used today!

Also the mention of ANV troops going AWOL is somewhat prominent, does anyone have any real numbers on troops leaving Lee's Army after Gettysburg, it seems in the hectic retreat, an opportunity to take off deserting, would present itself? Comments on Reb Deserters, of course both sides had deserters, anyone??

[Read More]

Thanks again,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 10:08:02 AM

Quote:
Larry,

What is your source for the snippet regarding hundreds of rebels in the country outside Gettysburg working the harvest?

Thanks!

Greg

Source is the Philadelphia Inquirer. Here is a link to the complete page. https://www.newspapers.com/image/167926022/?terms=deserters
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 11:18:45 AM

Larry,

Do you have some snippets of reporting on the battle from the press in New England - the abolitionist stronghold - and some commensurate commentary from the fire eating regions of secessionist South Carolina which we could reflect on and comment about ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 3:10:44 PM

Quote:
Larry,

Do you have some snippets of reporting on the battle from the press in New England - the abolitionist stronghold - and some commensurate commentary from the fire eating regions of secessionist South Carolina which we could reflect on and comment about ?

Regards, Phil

Checked south Carolina. All they had for today was reprints of news from Maryland and Richmond VA papers.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 3:17:35 PM

Quote:
Larry,

Regards, Phil

This from the Liberator, Boston Mass. July 17, 1863. Not all New Englander's were in favor abolition.

Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 5:20:51 PM

Thanks for making those forays, Larry.

I hope I’m not being presumptuous, suggesting how you might present your domain : it would be interesting and illuminating to see how abolition and secessionist accounts reported on the same event.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/17/2019 6:42:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for making those forays, Larry.

I hope I’m not being presumptuous, suggesting how you might present your domain : it would be interesting and illuminating to see how abolition and secessionist accounts reported on the same event.

Regards, Phil

Here's the Southern version of Thaddeus Stevens iron works that were destroyed during the Gettysburg campaign.

Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/18/2019 3:15:58 AM

Perfect, Larry.....couldn’t have asked for anything better !

That Christian name “ Thaddeus” intrigues me.

Zealots with great personal wealth.....dangerous people !

Regards, Phil
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/18/2019 7:47:36 AM

We are talking about this Thaddeus Stevens!?

[Read More]

excellent response article,
md

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/18/2019 10:41:18 AM

Thanks Dave !

A dear old friend once advised me : there are people that you like , and there are people that you admire, but, as a rule, there are no people that you can both like AND admire !

Thaddius Stevens does not sound like a man that you would like, but, by Jove !....he would excite admiration !

If we compare the abolitionist press in New England with the secessionist press in South Carolina, we might compare Thaddius Stevens with his southern counterpart, Alexander Stevens !

Did Alexander ‘s surname have a V or PH ?

Regards, Phil
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/18/2019 11:36:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks Dave !

A dear old friend once advised me : there are people that you like , and there are people that you admire, but, as a rule, there are no people that you can both like AND admire !

Thaddius Stevens does not sound like a man that you would like, but, by Jove !....he would excite admiration !

If we compare the abolitionist press in New England with the secessionist press in South Carolina, we might compare Thaddius Stevens with his southern counterpart, Alexander Stevens !

Regards, Phil

Alexander Stephens. https://www.britannica.com/biography/Alexander-H-Stephens
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 17, 1863
Posted on: 7/18/2019 2:38:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Dave !

Regards, Phil

Alexander Stephens. https://www.britannica.com/biography/Alexander-H-Stephens

Thanks, Larry !

This counterpart tale of two Stevens/ Stephens says so much about the history of your nation .... small wonder that a limey like me is so enthralled !

Both physically afflicted, both connected in some way with Pennsylvania, both prodigious intellects, each cast irreconcilably on different sides of the sectional divide.

Now, of these two, who would you find more likeable, and who more admirable ?

Regards, Phil

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC