(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

July 20, 1863
Posted on: 7/20/2019 8:26:49 AM

News from North carolina

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 20, 1863
Posted on: 7/21/2019 3:26:46 AM

That’s a good one, Larry !

They're not happy, are they ?

Pretty damned angry, actually.

A lot of criticism, especially of the pampered Virginian cavalryman who squandered resources, time and opportunity in a vainglorious venture that serves only to encumber Lee’s army.

And what was Lee doing seeking conclusions against an enemy enjoying a position described as “ impregnable “ ?

Those North Carolinians are anticipating the accusations and controversies that still excercise us more than a century and a half later.

Interesting to see that the author suggests that he knows more, but seeks to avoid elaboration....the implication that things haven’t worked out well, but a sense of public duty restrains full disclosure.

Significant approval of the need to display offensive prowess and satisfaction that the wicked enemy has sown what he’s reaped : that’s cited as a counter to the critical tone of the article .

The allusion to the casualties catches my eye : great numbers of wounded, but few killed. We see that a lot in the official returns, which revealed a more fatal nature as the fate of the missing in action became apparent and the wounded perished.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

July 20, 1863
Posted on: 7/21/2019 9:54:43 AM

Larry,

There is an exquisite touch to your posts when the adverts are scrutinised.

We read of the dramatic events on the battlefield , and then we see an advert for Hepatitic pills !

Routine life goes on, even when five hundred men from a single North Carolina regiment are cut down in a few moments of awful fighting.

A poignant thought hit me when I saw the notice from the Greensboro’ Female College, inviting the young ladies to attend the next scholastic year and subscribe to their chosen courses.....how many prospective southern belles must have contemplated the demographic impact of Gettysburg - and too many other battles - with grief and absolute dismay at their predicament ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC