User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

After the battle
Posted on: 8/11/2019 7:53:46 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

After the battle
Posted on: 8/11/2019 8:30:10 AM

Larry,

She makes a good point! What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander!?

Regards,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

After the battle
Posted on: 8/12/2019 3:19:01 AM

A lot of soldiers’ commentary I’ve read caricatures the German folks of Pennsylvania as mean and rather unpleasant. This vignette certainly endorses that view !

It always fascinates to read how the soldiers perceived the folks of the places they fought over : and vice versa.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Dick Evick
Waco
TX USA

After the battle
Posted on: 8/12/2019 10:03:21 AM

I recall in an older Gettysburg Magazine issue an article describing locals gathering firearms and other equipment which were confiscated by Union Cavalry.

Dick.
morris crumley
Dunwoody
GA USA

After the battle
Posted on: 8/12/2019 11:47:23 AM

In E. Porter Alexander`s reflections, he writes of riding up to the front porch of a farmer`s house along the pike from Cambersburg. There was a nice well situated in the front yard. Alexander saw the Dutch farmer sitting on the porch and inquired if he could get some water.

He almost shouted; "No! Dere ain`t no vater.! de well is done pump dry! And yust look at dis porch vere de been! And see dere vere dey trampled down dat wheat! Mine Gott! Mine Gott! I`ve heard of de horrors of var before but I never see vat dey was till now!"

He writes of how the adjutant of the Washington Artillery told of how he had stayed one night with a family that fed and housed him so graciously, the following morning he gave the gentleman a silver half-dollar. The man called to his wife; " Katrina! Take dis money and put it wit dat oder one vot you got last Christmas. By Yimminy! Ain`t dis var big luck for some peoples!"

War as deprivation...or commerce.

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
scoucer
Berlin
 Germany

After the battle
Posted on: 8/12/2019 2:57:23 PM

Quote:
A lot of soldiers’ commentary I’ve read caricatures the German folks of Pennsylvania as mean and rather unpleasant. This vignette certainly endorses that view !

It always fascinates to read how the soldiers perceived the folks of the places they fought over : and vice versa.

Regards, Phil

Swabians !

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC