User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

List of casualties in Archers brigade.
Posted on: 8/25/2019 7:39:15 PM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Posted on: 8/27/2019 4:18:37 AM

Larry,

Without my cherished Busey & Son to fall back on ( we’re on holiday in South Wales), I don’t have the actual revised casualty list of Archer’s brigade to hand : I do remember thinking how the preponderance of the casualties were unwounded prisoners . The total number of killed and wounded was surprisingly small considering the fact that the brigade was punished on both days one and three. I get the impression from that article that the authors are trying to put the most gallant light possible on the unit’s misfortunes.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
bassettlois0
Alexandria
CT USA

Posted on: 8/27/2019 4:58:44 AM

gooddd
[url=https://www.247emailhelpline.com/AOL-support/]AOL support[/url] [url=https://www.247emailhelpline.com/AOL-support/]AOL tech support[/url]
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

Posted on: 8/27/2019 6:27:52 AM

Quote:
Larry,

Without my cherished Busey & Son to fall back on ( we’re on holiday in South Wales), I don’t have the actual revised casualty list of Archer’s brigade to hand : I do remember thinking how the preponderance of the casualties were unwounded prisoners . The total number of killed and wounded was surprisingly small considering the fact that the brigade was punished on both days one and three. I get the impression from that article that the authors are trying to put the most gallant light possible on the unit’s misfortunes.

Regards, Phil

Undoubtedly the editor was biased in favor of the Southern cause. Little was mentioned of Archer's capture.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
morris crumley
Dunwoody
GA USA

Posted on: 8/27/2019 10:44:55 AM

Twas a bad time for the Archer brothers.

On 1 July Brigadier General James Archer led his brigade into an envelopment, and was chased down on retreat and captured along with a number of his men.

On 2 July, Company C of the 3rd Georgia Battalion Sharpshooters was detailed to march to the Archer Ironworks and remove all usable items and property for use by the Army of Northern Virginia and or burn the facilities to the ground. Earlier, Jubal Early had already ordered the nearby Caledonia Ironworks to be destroyed, ( it`s owner was the abolitionist firebrand and congressman, Thaddeus Stevens) and this was done.

The commander of the company of sharpshooters, Capt. William E. Simmons, was given discretion as to confiscation of property- and or the destruction of the facility itself. After confronting the owner, a man named Archer ( general Archer`s brother) Simmons was convinced the man was telling the truth about his relationship to Brig. General Archer, and gave him the option of keeping his Ironworks...but loosing his draft horses and wagons to the confederate cause. Archer continued to angrily protest, where upon Simmons told him "one more word and I will fire this to the ground" Archer relented...and watched his horses and wagons ride off to the east with the battalion. Simmon`s company arrived barely in time, that afternoon, to deploy as skirmishers and lead the advance of Wofford`s brigade into the wheat-field.

For both Archer brothers, while it could have been worse, it was a bad time.

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Posted on: 9/2/2019 4:26:05 AM

A sequel....of the 152 men of the 13th Alabama who were captured unwounded, 41 were to die in yankee captivity. Only seventeen were fatally stricken in the fighting.

This is not to be complacent about how nasty the fight was for the men of Archer’s command - and for Archer himself . Including the deaths in captivity, 17% of the entire regiment perished.

This notwithstanding, I could not fail to note how much worse was the fate of other rebel regiments who suffered repulse and capture that day at the hands of the yankees of the 1 Corps.

Take the Mississippians of Davis’s Brigade, for example. The 42nd Mississippi, trapped in that railroad cut, had 112 of its men killed or mortally wounded, and a further 29 of those who were captured unscathed perished whilst prisoners of war. Their fellow Mississippians of the 11th regiment , likewise caught in that place, lost 71 killed or died from wounds, and another 18 who, although unwounded, died in yankee captivity. Both these regiments were much larger than the 13th Alabama ....but, in the case of the 42nd, the death rate, including PoWs, was to reach 23%.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC