MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA

Prisoners captured at Gettysburg
Posted on: 8/26/2019 8:31:31 AM

From the Richmond Enquirer, August 26, 1863.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Posted on: 8/28/2019 6:41:00 PM

Hi Larry,

As noted in the article many Confederate Prisoners captured at Gettysburg, especially the ANV Officers, were taken to Johnson's Island Prison Camp, located up in Northern Ohio, in Lake Erie! Imagine how tough it was for these Southern Boys, to survive a frigid Great Lakes Winter!? I visited the Prison Camp's Cemetery, which is now under attack, by some groups!? Lets hope cooler heads prevail & this historical and solemn place remains as it is!?

[Read More]

Also here is a catchy tune, about the Prisoners of Johnson's Island Prison Camp!?

[Read More]

Just thought Y'all would be interested!?
MD

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
morris crumley
Dunwoody
GA USA

Posted on: 8/28/2019 11:18:08 PM

Dave, I thank you for the posted video of Johnson Island..and will add one more thing; Not only is it the resting place for 200 Confederates who died fighting for a cause that is considered today to be treason and are compared to a bunch of Nazi`s...but those who survived laid down their weapons, took an oath of allegiance, went home...and untold thousands of their descendants, through the march of time, have fought and died for this country, from Bella wood to Normandy, Desert Storm to Afghanistan and Iraq.

The one-time Confederate states have since established traditions of military service, and support for all things US military, as fully as any other region or populace.

They have purchased, with their blood and sacrifice, the redemption of the Confederate dead...if nothing more than the right for their ancestors to rest in peace, free from the vandalism of fools and jerks! This is true of all our monuments and statuary to our ancestral dead...anywhere in this land... that those who came after, fought for and fell defending.

Thanks again for the post Dave. Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Posted on: 8/29/2019 5:01:52 AM

fools and jerks !

Morris, please may I borrow that phrase ?

Many a time when I get worked up, I seek words that won’t come.

Now I’ve found them !

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Posted on: 8/29/2019 8:44:43 AM

Hi Morris,

Your welcome, & absolutely right about the US South, I spend an extended time down there each winter. I enjoy seeing Civil War Sites, and learning more about the history of the area! The last thing, I want is that history destroyed. I have always enjoyed the friendly hospitality of the people down their, & I return the cordial feelings back at them! Also my late father, John, fighting the Japanese in the Pacific fought next to guys from Texas, & other Southern States, & they were all glad to have each other's backs! Last year, while in Charleston, I visited the grave of John C Calhoun, early proponent of secession, I looked at it as fascinating history, certainly don't want his grave stone destroyed, by "fools & jerks"!

[Read More]

Regards,
MD

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
morris crumley
Dunwoody
GA USA

Posted on: 8/29/2019 10:10:24 AM

Dave, I relate to you a personal, a family, tale you might enjoy.

My father counted it a blessing to have been a boy of 7 who sat on the front porch and listened to the stories of the white bearded, elderly gentleman who was his great grandfather. Stories like the time he and his fellow sharpshooter`s battalion fired hot lead into the ranks of the 4th Michigan, in the middle of a stand of wheat in Pennsylvania. It was not the only time they gave battle to Michiganders. As the line goes, " I stood and shot at him, and he at me, and killed him in his place."

Fast forward a mere 81 years, and my 18 year old mother takes the trains and, leaving Georgia for the first time in her life, she travels to Chicago, makes connection there, then on to Battle Creek Michigan, where she hopes to see her husband for a few days in 1943 as he trains for war in Europe with the 9th United States Army Air Corps. She stays with a family who opened their doors to her with great Michigan hospitality, and who delighted in having company come over and visit with a "delightful girl and her southern accent." My father would not see his bride again until 1946.

In Europe he served with men from all over the country, side by side with boys from Michigan, New York, Ohio, California. His best friend would be a Jew from Brooklyn NY...named Morris Roth. My namesake.

My point is, the Civil War was over...we came full circle...we fought just as hard as anyone for this country...we have earned the respect, if not of our ancestors...then at least to have them rest in piece, free from the slander and spite of a generation of spoiled, Taliban wanna-be curds, who have no appreciation for the story of this country, and seem only to desire destroying and burning down all that makes us a country. Who will start with confederate statues and graves...then morph to the framers and founders of the country they so despise.

My mother and father always had a special appreciation for that brief time in Battle Creek, and the family that was so kind to them.

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
morris crumley
Dunwoody
GA USA

Posted on: 8/29/2019 12:17:37 PM

Phil, my term for those who tear down statues, and vandalize the dead, "fools and jerks," are the words that can be printed in polite society...the actual feelings I have for them I cannot express without sanction!

Respects, Morris
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA

Posted on: 8/29/2019 3:20:30 PM

My cousin Captain James M.D. King, Company K, 9th Georgia Infantry, was mortally wounded @ Gettysburg July 2, 1863; captured; and sent to Johnson's Island, where he died and was buried.

Its a crying shame that American war dead can no longer be permitted to rest in peace and undisturbed, along with the memorials placed by loved ones in the years after battle. Few wars in our collective history were popular or justified. Recently a statue of President William McKinley (a Union veteran) was removed; Betsy Ross and her flag are now "racist"; and anything to do with the Founding Fathers is subject to 21st century reinterpretation by the present generation and their "academic" gurus, the ones that attempt to silence opposing views on our university and college campuses. What happened to freedom, tolerance and the exchange of ideas ?

Best Regards,

Greg
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA

Posted on: 8/29/2019 3:26:47 PM

Quote:
My cousin Captain James M.D. King, Company K, 9th Georgia Infantry, was mortally wounded @ Gettysburg July 2, 1863; captured; and sent to Johnson's Island, where he died and was buried.

Its a crying shame that American war dead can no longer be permitted to rest in peace and undisturbed, along with the memorials placed by loved ones in the years after battle. Few wars in our collective history were popular or justified. Recently a statue of President William McKinley (a Union veteran) was removed; Betsy Ross and her flag are now "racist"; and anything to do with the Founding Fathers is subject to 21st century reinterpretation by the present generation and their "academic" gurus, the ones that attempt to silence opposing views on our university and college campuses. What happened to freedom, tolerance and the exchange of ideas ?

Best Regards,

Greg

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to say and do nothing.
Larry

"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA

Posted on: 8/30/2019 8:30:50 AM

Hi Morris,

Thanks for sharing the story of relatives, Michigan Experience, I used to narrate & drive a trolley around our historic area, it was amazing the good will spread between riders I had from other areas of our country & our Muskegon Citizens, simple by complimenting their areas, & being cordial to them!

And Greg, thank'ss for sharing the story on your relative that was actually a prisoner who died at the camp on Johnsons Island! If I get back there, I'll look for his tombstone, I wish him well from you!

Again Thanks guys!
MD
Phil Andrade
London
 UK

Posted on: 8/30/2019 10:45:31 AM

Quote:
Phil, my term for those who tear down statues, and vandalize the dead, "fools and jerks," are the words that can be printed in polite society...the actual feelings I have for them I cannot express without sanction!

Respects, Morris

Morris,

There is something exquisite in the phrase “ fools and jerks” that the more profane insults lack.

Sometimes less is more .

I would like to investigate the provenance of the word “ jerk”. It carries special impact.

Over here we use the word “ berk”......the origin of that lies in rhyming slang , and comes from Berkshire Hunt !

Regards , Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2019 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC