MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Canton
GA USA
Hood's wounding site
Posted on: 4/2/2020 11:49:09 AM

Is there a specific site on the battlefield believed to be where General Hood was wounded July 2 ?

I've got a post-war reference to a captain in Benning's Georgia brigade who was supposedly just a few
feet away from Hood at the time of his wounding. I'm trying to determine if it might have been true.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Greg C. White
----------------------------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
Wayne Wachsmuth
Shippensburg
PA USA
Hood's wounding site
Posted on: 4/2/2020 3:55:03 PM

There is no marker since the actual site can't be verified however Wayne Motts felt that it was along the lane leading back past the Bushman farm just about abeam the farm buildings since there was a small orchard (long since vanished) at that location and that Hood was said to be hit near an orchard.

Wayne
Jim Cameron
Ossining
NY USA
Hood's wounding site
Posted on: 4/2/2020 10:05:58 PM

As I recall, not far from where the infamous double-wide used to be. Fortunately, that has also since vanished.
Jim Cameron Every time I go to Gettysburg, I learn two things. Something new, and, how much I still don't know.
Wayne Wachsmuth
Shippensburg
PA USA
Hood's wounding site
Posted on: 4/3/2020 1:30:01 PM

True! Haven't head any lamentations about its absence.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
Hood's wounding site
Posted on: 4/4/2020 10:15:15 AM

Home of the infamous lawnmower man.
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC