User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
massapequa
NY USA
Fence on Oak Ridge
Posted on: 5/13/2020 1:57:54 PM

Hello All:

I was wondering where the fence was on Oak Ridge (was it where the road is currently ?) How tall was it and what kind of fence was it . Thanks because it always confuses me that Iverson's men never saw Robinson's men posted on that ridge. Thank you Have a great day all-- stay safe

Ken
----------------------------------
"You will find a great many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view...." Obi Wan Kenobi
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
Fence on Oak Ridge
Posted on: 5/14/2020 9:17:58 AM

What makes me wonder is why Iverson's men didn't hear the firing or see the smoke from the repulse of O'Neils brigade. Maybe fixated on what was happening along the Chambersburg Pike?

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
gettysburgerrn
massapequa
NY USA
Fence on Oak Ridge
Posted on: 5/17/2020 10:45:48 AM

I know, it doesnt make sense to me how Iversons men were completely unaware of Robinson's division....

Ken
"You will find a great many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view...." Obi Wan Kenobi
Wayne Wachsmuth
Shippensburg
PA USA
Fence on Oak Ridge
Posted on: 5/17/2020 2:57:32 PM

One quote from one of the Pennsylvanians on Oak Ridge may shed a little light on at least some of the reason, he said that he and his pard could hear the bullets going over their heads and clipping off the heads of the Timothy grass above them. Now Timothy at. its best gets only about waist high so they were obviously lying down. in what at the time was a hay field. Coupled with the fact that the eastern slope fades away rapidly a line would be virtually invisible if they were lying just a bit east of the crest.

Wayne
gettysburgerrn
massapequa
NY USA
Fence on Oak Ridge
Posted on: 5/18/2020 8:41:59 AM

That certainly helps things make a bit more sense Thank you

Ken

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC