Happy Thanksgiving!  

MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
The truth behind Cavalry Horses Rescue @ 1930's!?
Posted on: 6/5/2020 11:33:38 AM

Guys

Check out this very interesting movie, "In pursuit of Honor"! In this advocated, true story about the US Cavalry in the west, being ordered by the War Department to liquidate, ( kill) over 500 US Cavalry horses!? It is also suggested that perhaps Douglas MacArthur, or another leading Army General, also ordered the horse massacre!? A group of Cavalry, men, could not carry out this order, & after the 1st 100 mounts were killed they took matters into their own hands and against orders drove the remaining 400 steeds to Canada, from Mexico!?
Also FDR learning of the heroic episode, granted a full pardon to the Cavalry personal involved! As a fascinating military flick, check it out, here is the complete movie, starring amoung other Don Johnson! He does a good job, watch it, definitely worth your time, with the Damn C-19 Pandemic, you have time! Feel free to comment and research into the facts of this "true story"!?

[Read More]

What's the real story??

[Read More]

Enjoy,
MD
----------------------------------
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre
PA USA
Posted on: 6/5/2020 12:32:31 PM

Dave,

Its FICTION why are you posting it as a true story and why in the Gettysburg section? Show me the Presidential pardon records, that information is online.
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country. "to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 6/5/2020 3:10:08 PM

John,

I initially posted it on military media room, not sure how it ended up on the Gettysburg section?? Also in some of the introductions to the movie they led us to believe that the story was mostly factual with that description, note in my original post I said they “advocated”, it as factual, meaning I had my doubts as well ? thanks for clearing ithat up. My intent on posting it was that it was a military topic movie with a interesting plot for those of us looking to get our minds off the Pandemic!

MD

Brian, maybe you could relocate this in the media section, thanks.
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
mikecmaps
CAMARILLO
CA USA
Posted on: 6/6/2020 1:59:54 PM

Dave & John,
a similar but true story from the end of WWI.
A true story; Tells how the British in Egypt and Palestine 1918-1919 abandoned 20,000 ex-army horses to save the expense of shipping back to England. Some officers took their mounts into the desert and shot them rather than see them abandoned. Many were sold to work in the village streets or stone quarries. Dorothy Brooke, wife of Major General Brooke, managed to rescue some 5,000 by 1934 but many still had to be destroyed.
The Horse in war; J. M. Breton, 1976 New York.
P138-140

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC