(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
June 14, 1863
Posted on: 6/14/2020 6:50:59 AM

From the Times Picayune, New Orleans Louisiana. June 14, 1863

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
John R. Price
Wilkes-Barre
PA USA
June 14, 1863
Posted on: 6/14/2020 4:41:44 PM

Larry,

If I may ask where do you get all these articles. I have an idea and am wondering if WWII era articles are available and if its possible to search by name?
A battle long forgotten by our country in a war never understood by our country. "to satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds, in the name of destiny and in the name of God"
Brian Grafton
Victoria
BC Canada
June 14, 1863
Posted on: 6/14/2020 10:10:30 PM

John R, in the past I've had luck with both city and Provincial archives. Museums can also have wonderful collections, though they often want you to buy a membership before you can gain access. You mention specifically "WWII era articles", in which case a request to see the publisher's archives/morgue/back issues would be appropriate.

If you are looking for news items (I would probably put Larry's image down as a news item or dispatch, rather than an article, e.g.) then typically a physical collection (e.g., still on microfiche) would be date-searchable and may demand your physical presence to turn the knobs. But some archives and morgues try to keep documents out of "outsider's" hands, but will have their associates (often a volunteer) conduct a search for a fee.

Not meaning to be insulting at all, but keep in mind that even as late as WWII there can be a lapse between an event and a story's appearance in public media. And depending on which source you are accessing, the date of publication might remain the entry point.

I admit to enjoying contemporary accounts of historical events. I'm not as drawn to newspaper reports and articles as you appear to be, but I get sucked into volumes written in the heat of events. Shirer's Berlin Diary is one example of bringing the past to life, on a daily basis. He's a bright man with a strong journalist's ability, and he offers insight that must have been shocking at the time and astonishing in retrospect.

Don't know if my comments help or are old hat.

Cheers. And stay safe.
Brian G
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." Walt Kelly. "The Best Things in Life Aren't Things" Bumper sticker.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
June 14, 1863
Posted on: 6/15/2020 6:41:37 AM

Quote:
Larry,

If I may ask where do you get all these articles. I have an idea and am wondering if WWII era articles are available and if its possible to search by name?

Hi John. PM sent.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA
June 14, 1863
Posted on: 6/15/2020 11:30:04 AM

I checked the service records for Stephen B. Flandreau of the 8th Louisiana, and the timeline
is a bit off. He deserted @ Fredericksburg in April 1863; took the "oath" and was sent to
Washington, DC.

Greg
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC