User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
June 26, 1863
Posted on: 6/26/2020 6:36:16 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
June 26, 1863
Posted on: 6/26/2020 7:44:32 AM

Hey Larry,

These articles bring to question how did the invading ANV treat Northern civilians? As we know after Gettysburg, Grant and Sherman will be terrible in their treatment of occupied South, the use of unrestricted warfare! But before Gettysburg, the ANV needed supplies, I’ve heard they took them, & paid in virtually worthless Confederate currency? Also with JEB out there, procuring all the useful plunder he could, he may not have paid at all for his plunder? It had to be fearful and troubling times for citizens on both sides?

Any sites, or articles on the plight of civilians of occupied towns, like Gettysburg? Anyone?

Thanks Larry, just enjoying my coffee, & reading the news from way back in 1863! Almost like I’m there!

Regards,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
June 26, 1863
Posted on: 6/26/2020 1:10:34 PM

Hi M.D. I'm guessing it may have depended on when and who civilians met that determined the outcome. Headed North the soldiers of the ANV were in a good mood and though they would raid barns and hen houses they more or less treated homes better. On the return South after the beating they took at Gettysburg things could get pretty nasty when a bunch of hungry, tired, footsore rebs showed up your door. Bad situation for all involved.

Larry

"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC