User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 1, 1863
Posted on: 7/1/2020 6:34:25 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
July 1, 1863
Posted on: 7/1/2020 11:35:32 AM

Hi Larry,

Nice articles on locations of the spread out ANV, mentioning, Cashtown, Carlisle, Chambersburg, & York, they even got close to Harrisburg. And of course the AoP was coming from the South, & ANV from the North! I can’t imagine how hot & difficult it would be to march quickly from these distances, in this summer heat!? Which troops came from the greatest distances? I’ve heard that Gen Oat’s Alabama boys marched right into the battle with little or no water in intense heat, & I’m sure others did as well??

I get hot just walking the dog around the block in the summer!?
Just how hot was it 7/1-7/4, 1863?

Thanks, & Regards,
MD

Perhaps someone could post a map with area towns, so we could get a clearer picture of where all the troops came from? Anyone?

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
john hayward
Allenstown
NH USA
July 1, 1863
Posted on: 7/1/2020 1:06:26 PM

Dave

The Rev. Dr. Michael Jacobs, a math and science professor at Pennsylvania College, now Gettysburg College, recorded the temperatures three times a day during the battle: 7 a.m., 2 p.m., and 9 p.m. On July 1 the temperature at 2 p.m. was 76 degrees and the sky was cloudy. At 2 p.m. July 2, it was 81 and partly cloudy. It was 87 degrees at 2 p.m. July 3, the time of Pickett's Charge.

The 5th NH of the II Corps marched 32 miles on June 29, not halting until 11PM. Lt. Livermore wrote, "No one of us was permitted to stop long enough to remove our shoes or stockings, and as we forded several early in the day and drenched our feet and their apparel, we became footsore very easily on the hard roads."

My great-great grandfather Pvt Charles Davis 7th NJ was overcome with sunstroke on June 27th and ended up in a Baltimore Hosp, missing the battle.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
July 1, 1863
Posted on: 7/1/2020 3:16:31 PM

Not a hint of complacency in these Northern newspapers is there ? No derision of the foe, no attempt to diminish the danger.

The people of Pennsylvania faced this crisis with a Churchillian fortitude and resolve.

Their Finest Hour.

Editing : Churchill, to the British people, summer 1940 :

I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin.... Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows he will have to break us in this island or lose the war.

In your newspaper article, Larry :

....General Lee is massing his troops for the purpose of engaging the army of the Potomac....and ...a decisive battle between these two armies may be expected daily. The battle ground will probably be in the Gettysburg valley. The Confederate government have doubtless risked every thing upon the result of this battle, which, from present indications promises to be one of the most bloody of the war. God, help the Right.

No wonder Churchill appreciated the drama and inspiration of Gettysburg !

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
July 1, 1863
Posted on: 7/1/2020 4:01:27 PM

Quote:

My great-great grandfather Pvt Charles Davis 7th NJ was overcome with sunstroke on June 27th and ended up in a Baltimore Hosp, missing the battle.

That regiment went into the battle 275 strong and suffered 114 casualties , twenty five of them fatalities.

Perhaps that stroke of sun was a stroke of luck for you, John 😊.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC