User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 2, 1863
Posted on: 7/2/2020 6:28:29 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
July 2, 1863
Posted on: 7/2/2020 11:04:51 AM

It had to be horrific in Vicksburg at this time? One of my saddest moments of the battle, when Gen. John Reynolds was killed, probably by a Reb sharpshooter?

He was surely missed!?
MD,
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Dick Evick
Waco
TX USA
July 2, 1863
Posted on: 7/2/2020 2:36:18 PM

Yeah Dave day 1 possibly would have been less chaotic for the Federals had Reynolds survived. Would he have been the senior officer on the field as things developed?

Dick.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 2, 1863
Posted on: 7/2/2020 3:44:22 PM

Good question. Not sure if Reynolds outranked Slocum. I wonder to if Reynolds lives and asks Slocum to move up and support him if Slocum moves any faster.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
scoucer
Berlin
 Germany
July 2, 1863
Posted on: 7/2/2020 3:47:01 PM

Quote:
Good question. Not sure if Reynolds outranked Slocum. I wonder to if Reynolds lives and asks Slocum to move up and support him if Slocum moves any faster.

Larry

Really good question.

Trevor

Edit - I miss the old days when here on MHO a whole horde of experts would jump in on such a question. And I´d read it all thinking WOW!
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA
July 2, 1863
Posted on: 7/2/2020 7:11:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah Dave day 1 possibly would have been less chaotic for the Federals had Reynolds survived. Would he have been the senior officer on the field as things developed?

Dick.

When Reynolds was killed, didn't O.O. Howard assume command of the field, until Hancock & Meade arrived ?

Greg
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC