MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Canton
GA USA
If you could hover over the actual battle in a hot air balloon, what sector
Posted on: 7/2/2020 10:01:15 AM

As I'm partial to Georgians, I'd like to watch my ancestors in Gordon's brigade (31st GA)
on July 1st as they cross Rock Creek and go to work on Blocher's Knoll.

Watching Wright's brigade on July 2nd would be my second choice, to see how far
they advanced; what was captured; and how long they were able to remain before
withdrawing.

How about you ?

Best Regards,

Greg C. White
----------------------------------
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
Dick Evick
Waco
TX USA
Posted on: 7/2/2020 10:33:33 AM

Fourth Texas on Day 2 attacking to the left of LRT. Some of the unit were recruited here in Waco, Tx.

The conversation between Buford and staff as Confederates approached. Day 1.

The conversation between Lee and staff as he saw the advantage on Day 1 as Rhodes advanced and Confederate fortunes were at their zenith with Federal troops breaking.

Dick.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 7/2/2020 10:59:18 AM

Guys,

Those spots are to dangerous, who’s going to stop an angry soldier from taking a pot shot at you! I would be above & behind Meade’s headquarters, where I could watch the battle develope to day 3.

Better duck,
MD

BTW I’m taking it, that it’s a Union Balloon?
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA
Posted on: 7/2/2020 11:56:13 AM

Quote:
Guys,

Those spots are to dangerous, who’s going to stop an angry soldier from taking a pot shot at you! I would be above & behind Meade’s headquarters, where I could watch the battle develope to day 3.

Better duck,
MD

BTW I’m taking it, that it’s a Union Balloon?

MD,

Lets pretend that we are in a neutral balloon, and that it is out of range for even the best
sharpshooters. With all the smoke emanating from the battlefield, who knows what we'll
see. Judging by some of the reports and accounts I've read, I'm not sure what officers
on the field actually saw !

Greg,
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 7/2/2020 12:36:32 PM

If the fog of war were to allow it - a forlorn hope, I fear, with all that smoke - I would wish to see the deployment of Sickles and the destruction of his salient.....so I would hover over the Emmitsburg Road and the Peach Orchard.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
Posted on: 7/2/2020 2:10:54 PM

My choice would be over the Slyder farm watching the advance of Laws brigade. Interesting to see USSS spread out trying to slow Law.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 7/2/2020 4:06:15 PM

Was that Hiram Berdan’s command ?

Just the name is enough to inspire !

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
john hayward
Allenstown
NH USA
Posted on: 7/2/2020 4:26:03 PM

Phil
You stole my vantage point. Is your basket big enough for two?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
Tom Barrett
Turbotville
PA USA
Posted on: 7/2/2020 4:53:59 PM

I would wish to hover over the battlefield and the town of Gettysburg itself in mid-to-late June 1863. I'd like to see the town and all the landmarks we know so well in their pristine, immediate pre-battle condition.

My second fantasy would be to hover over any field hospital during the battle and/or Camp Letterman afterward. A friend of mine served two tours in Vietnam as a member of the special forces. He once fantasized that he'd have wanted to be at Gettysburg armed with an M-16 rifle. I've often fantasized that I'd like to have been there with modern anesthesia equipment, medications and surgical team. My mind boggles considering the lives that could have been saved and suffering alleviated.

As long as we're fantasizing; I once suggested the following to my special-forces friend: It's the noon lull on July 3rd. The pre-charge cannonade was imminent. An F-15 Eagle screams between Seminary and Cemetery ridges at tree-top height, supersonic speed, pulls up and rockets vertically out of sight. I told my friend that both sides likely would have thrown down their arms and had a "come to Jesus" moment. He said, "Heck Barrett, your Piper Cub would have worked."

Best Regards,

Tom
"To a pilot , the most important thing in the world is flight. To share it is without price." Richard Bach
Wazza
Sydney
 Australia
Posted on: 7/2/2020 4:58:56 PM

Pickett's charge.
What an amazing feat to witness, and tragic as well.
Lew & Ginny Gage
Cornish
NH USA
Posted on: 7/2/2020 5:43:39 PM

Probably Barlow's Knoll. My husband had ancestors who fought in the 17th CT. One was mortally wounded and died July 5.

Then again, perhaps over where the 5th NH monument is now to see exactly where and who shot Col. Cross.

Ginny
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA
Posted on: 7/2/2020 7:21:53 PM

Quote:
Probably Barlow's Knoll. My husband had ancestors who fought in the 17th CT. One was mortally wounded and died July 5.

Then again, perhaps over where the 5th NH monument is now to see exactly where and who shot Col. Cross.

Ginny

Ginny,

My ancestors in the 31st Georgia (Gordon's brigade) likely confronted Lew's ancestors in the 17th Connecticut on Blocher's (Barlow) Knoll.

Small world.

Best Regards,

Greg

john hayward
Allenstown
NH USA
Posted on: 7/2/2020 8:57:13 PM

Ginny
Who ever shot Col. Cross never lived to brag about it. Sgt Charles Phelps made sure of that. Unfortunately Phelps would not survive the fight.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
Lew & Ginny Gage
Cornish
NH USA
Posted on: 7/3/2020 12:38:32 PM

Greg,

So what you're saying is that one of your ancestors might have killed my husband's cousin?!

Ginny
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA
Posted on: 7/3/2020 12:56:54 PM

Quote:
Greg,

So what you're saying is that one of your ancestors might have killed my husband's cousin?!

Ginny

Ginny,

My 2x great-grandfather was targeting General Barlow, but he could have missed and
hit Lew's cousin instead.

Greg

Lew & Ginny Gage
Cornish
NH USA
Posted on: 7/3/2020 1:26:22 PM

Greg,

So sad. He was mortally wounded and died on July 5. Fortunately, his father was able to come down and bring his body back home for proper burial. Lew and I visited the cemetery where he's buried. So many men and families were not so fortunate.

Ginny

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC