User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/6/2020 6:34:06 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/6/2020 7:35:05 AM

Larry,

Interesting articles, thank you.

The list of the killed and wounded seems to have no one mentioned as killed, although the obvious severity of some of the wounds must have meant death for too many.

Near the end of the list is an especially unfortunate man, J Loud, Co A 17th Infantry, wounded in the penis.
To countenance losing life or limb in the service of one’s country is bad enough, but to forsake one’s manhood is an unspeakable forfeit !

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
john hayward
Allenstown
NH USA
July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/6/2020 9:27:32 AM

Phil
And then to have it announced on the front page of the newspaper!
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/6/2020 9:34:13 AM

Quote:
Phil
And then to have it announced on the front page of the newspaper!

No matter how serious the wound, doubly painful to have the whole town know your private business.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
July 6, 1863
Posted on: 7/6/2020 4:36:20 PM

Believe it or not, fifty years before Gettysburg, a British soldier had been similarly wounded in the Peninsular War, and the musket ball was left lodged in the shaft of his penis.
The regimental surgeon was dissuaded from removing it by the soldier’s wife, who expressed her satisfaction with her husband’s new configuration.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC