User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 8, 1863
Posted on: 7/8/2020 6:27:46 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
July 8, 1863
Posted on: 7/8/2020 12:50:03 PM

Hi Larry,

The article on casualties seems for the most part accurate on Confederate Officers, except for Longstreets death the reports on the armies retreating through, & fighting in the town were interesting, specially the one of the Reb officer shooting two soldiers who were attacking a civilian lady. There is no place for such actions from either army!? Also the capture of Lee’s entire army, were greatly exaggerated!?

So these articles, some accurate, some not!?

Thanks,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 8, 1863
Posted on: 7/8/2020 2:30:57 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

The article on casualties seems for the most part accurate on Confederate Officers, except for Longstreets death the reports on the armies retreating through, & fighting in the town were interesting, specially the one of the Reb officer shooting two soldiers who were attacking a civilian lady. There is no place for such actions from either army!? Also the capture of Lee’s entire army, were greatly exaggerated!?

So these articles, some accurate, some not!?

Thanks,
MD

Newspapers of 1863 weren't a whole different from today. Some printed rumor, some printed their side of the war and battle and some tried their best to report the happenings of the day as accurate as possible.
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
July 8, 1863
Posted on: 7/8/2020 3:59:08 PM

Larry, Dave,

Even the inaccurate or exaggerated reports still give us a priceless sense of how things were perceived.

What people believed to be true might be as important as what was actually true.

One thing reached out and grabbed me : an allusion to the typhoid fever that had afflicted the 8th Maine, claiming many victims and several fatalities.....even in the aftermath of the war’s greatest battle, with those tens of thousands of slain and wounded men, the relentless and insidious toll of disease was yet doing its deadly work.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC