User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 15th, 1863
Posted on: 7/15/2020 5:59:26 AM

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
July 15th, 1863
Posted on: 7/15/2020 7:19:06 AM

Larry,

Thank you for the vignettes regarding claims as to Lee’s casualties in the campaign.

I must say that, compared with the hyperbole of claims from other battlefields in that war, these are remarkably reasonable. The reality was so grisly as to require no embellishment .

Do you think that the appallingly high total of New York casualties at Gettysburg had a bearing on the riots in NYC ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 15th, 1863
Posted on: 7/15/2020 7:54:40 AM

Quote:
Larry,

Do you think that the appallingly high total of New York casualties at Gettysburg had a bearing on the riots in NYC ?

Regards, Phil

I think the lists of casualties in NY regiments and the publishing of names of conscripts at the same time was a direct cause of the riots. Men with no interest or connection to the war saw military service as a death sentence.

Larry.
john hayward
Allenstown
NH USA
July 15th, 1863
Posted on: 7/15/2020 10:07:17 AM

Larry Phil
Also the idea of a poor man's war. Only a few could pony up the $300 to get out of the draft. Even less could hire a substitute
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
July 15th, 1863
Posted on: 7/15/2020 1:25:30 PM

Quote:
Larry Phil
Also the idea of a poor man's war. Only a few could pony up the $300 to get out of the draft. Even less could hire a substitute

Exactly. Who wants to fight for the rich elite who stay home.
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
July 15th, 1863
Posted on: 7/16/2020 12:21:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Larry Phil

Exactly. Who wants to fight for the rich elite who stay home.

This is an interesting feature of that war....indeed, of other wars, before and since.

There were “ blue blooded” or “ Brahmin” New Englanders - Robert Gould Shaw ?- who come to mind : anxious to display Noblesse Oblige , they bled and died.

Then there was that extremely wealthy New Yorker, John Wadsworth : reputedly the richest man to be killed in battle, at least on the Union side. On the other side, Barksdale was no pauper, was he ?

I reckon we’ve got the makings of a decent thread here....the examples I cite mustn’t dispel the refrain that it was a rich man’s war and a poor man’s fight, echoed North and South.

Forrest was a self made man, and a very rich one, too.

Since this is the Gettysburg sector, I would invite suggestions about the conspicuously wealthy participants in the battle. I’ve already mentioned Barksdale. How about “ Pap” Greene....was he a successful engineer, with a bank balance to match ? He was old, too, wasn’t he ? So was Wadsworth, or am I wrong ?

Lee was too aristocratic to sully his image with the vulgarity of wealth acquisition ....but he had quite a stake in the upper echelons of Virginia’s leading families. Not short of a penny or two : although the memory of his father’s penchant for slow horses and fast women must have encouraged prudence in conduct and aversion to ostentatious wealth display.

Had Meade married the daughter of a high ranking diplomat ? Perhaps that brought a good dowry.

And how could I forget Sickles ? Desperate Dan, I would have thought, was well heeled....at least, he was until a rebel missile detached one of them !

I wonder about Jubal Early and his lawyer’s acumen.

There must be more....even in the ranks of the enlisted men there might have been southerners who had more than a nominal stake in the “Peculiar Institution”.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC