MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
Berlin
 Germany
How did Gettysburg come to so greatly overshadow Vicksburg
Posted on: 7/30/2020 7:11:46 AM

Gettysburg was from 1-3 July 1863, the Vicksburg Campaign ended on July 4, 1863.

Gettysburg, was the first great defeat for Lee, while Vicksburg ended over a two years worth of campaigning and closed the Mississippi river to the Confederacy and cut them in half.

So why is one favored over the other in American lore?
----------------------------------
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows
PA USA
Posted on: 7/30/2020 8:59:46 AM

Gettysburg had far more casualties than Vicksburg, and Gettysburg had Robert E. Lee whose army had been victorious in battle since 1862. The Western theatre was remote and just didn't get the press coverage that the Army of The Potomac and Army of Northern Virginia did.

Best regards, Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon, Michigan
MI USA
Posted on: 7/30/2020 9:47:48 AM

Also for several reasons Gettysburg had many more books written about it, perhaps because of the mythical status of Robert E Lee, & the nearly undefeated ANV! Also being in the Eastern theater, much more populated, & therefore considered more important to many media sources, so close to Washington DC?

Interesting to hear what others think?
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Dick Evick
Waco
TX USA
Posted on: 7/30/2020 10:09:52 AM

MD
I agree that the reputation of Lee and Stuart had alot to do with the Gettysburg coverage. Also the proximity to Washington and the fact that Richmond was sparsely defended during the campaign.

Dick.
Gregory C. White
Canton
GA USA
Posted on: 7/30/2020 12:08:03 PM

Quote:
Gettysburg was from 1-3 July 1863, the Vicksburg Campaign ended on July 4, 1863.

Gettysburg, was the first great defeat for Lee, while Vicksburg ended over a two years worth of campaigning and closed the Mississippi river to the Confederacy and cut them in half.

So why is one favored over the other in American lore?

As Michigan Dave alluded to, it was the Eastern Theatre of the war, and impacted potentially
a much larger segment of the American population. Washington, DC, Philadelphia, Baltimore
& Harrisburg were threatened by the invading Army of Northern Virginia. The Northern media
naturally gave the Battle Gettysburg more press coverage than a siege in Vicksburg.

Best Regards,

Greg
"I do not believe that any man can adequately appreciate the world of to-day unless he has some knowledge of...[and] some feeling for...the history of the world of the past." Theodore Roosevelt
reniwqwil5
Berlin
 Germany
Posted on: 7/31/2020 3:51:28 AM

Gettysburg was more dramatic though, with the Union defeating the largest invasion of the North in a pitched 3 day battle which ended with Lee's frontal assault on the Union center (Pickett's charge). Lee could have won the battle until he made the frontal assault, and if the Confederacy had won, the state of the war would have changed dramatically.
https://shareit.onl/ https://appvn.onl/
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 7/31/2020 4:25:55 AM

Heartiest welcome to you, reniwqwil5 !

You take the words from me : Gettysburg was high drama.

I agree with your assessment. It was a closely fought battle : indeed, in terms of casualties, astonishingly so.

Lee could have won : should have, according to some....and , had he done so, who knows how far reaching the ramifications were bound to be ?

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC