MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:    Password:

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Author
London
 UK
Confederate OOB : quiz yourself ?
Posted on: 8/14/2020 4:51:31 AM

A bout of insomnia kept me thinking about Gettysburg and, for some reason, I found myself trying to recall all the brigades of infantry that Lee’s army deployed in the battle, and then I attempted to assign them to their respective divisions and corps. The important thing to do is not to cheat by going online or consulting books. I’m going to write down my answers and see how I do.
Anyone fancy joining me ?
I might provide my attempt in a little while, and hope that I honour my pledge not to cheat, and rely on memory alone.

Let’s fix bayonets and go forward !

Regards, Phil
----------------------------------
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 8/14/2020 5:55:50 AM

True to my word, I wrote down all the brigades I could think of, and found that I entered thirty five. I misnamed one of them, but - with that exception - I assigned them all correctly to their divisional commands, and, of course, to appropriate corps.

To my dismay, I omitted two brigades : but I feel that somehow authenticates the quiz.....had I got everything right straight away, it would feel hubristic , and I would be uncomfortable pitching the result.

I’m proud of what I did manage to do....but very aware of how this could be construed as a sad enterprise by someone who hasn’t got better things to do with his time !

Editing here : Perhaps I should cut myself some slack here ; I misnamed a brigade, but I see that I had used the name of its subordinate commander , which might be because the nominal command was changed as a result of wounding or illness etc. The omission of the two brigades , however, is galling for me.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London
 UK
Posted on: 8/14/2020 4:37:18 PM

Some clues: the word “woke” rhymes with the name of the leader who had to relinquish his command to his subordinate. I cited the subordinate rather than the original commander.

There were two brigades that I overlooked : the commander of one had a classic Irish name. The other was a Mississippi command that fought at the Bliss Farm.

Regards, Phil

WilliamDilorenzo
New york
AK USA
Posted on: 9/25/2020 5:51:05 AM

nic eone

© 2020 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC