MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Dunwoody GA USA
John Rutherford Ash--Devil`s Den Image
8/14/2020 6:30:23 PM
Once upon a time I was one who believed that the Gardner Photo of the Devil`s Den Sharpshooter may have been a soldier from Lawrenceville Georgia, and a member of the 3rd Georgia Battalion SS. The thinking was that he may have been a 32 year old widow`s son by the name of William H. Adair. The sharpshooters were out in that area of the field on 3, July 1863-making things very uncomfortable for Union allergists on Little Round-top. Adair was listed on the rolls as having died at Gettysburg .......on 4 July. A very interesting date. A soldier who dies during the early morning darkness of the forth would present a very fresh body for photographers on the sixth.

I never bought the UN-evidenced theory that the photographers, having found bloated and blackened corpse one after the other would find a "fresh", photogenic body-and not take a picture that showed the soldiers face......first! I still don`t buy it! But, some good research may have found a better suspect. John Rutherford Ash of the 2cd Georgia Infantry Regiment.

[Read More]

We could never secure a photo of Adair to compare to the Devil`s Den sharpshooter. The photo of Ash when compared to the unsub....is haunting and eerie.!

Any thoughts?

Respects, Morris
----------------------------------
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
8/14/2020 11:01:59 PM
Guess I just can`t let it go.... But, does the DD sharpshooter body look like it has been lying out for two days in the heat and sun......or lying for two days in the coolness of the shade of boulders and rocks?

Just sayin`

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
8/15/2020 3:40:37 AM
Morris,

This photograph speaks of choreography of a macabre kind, literally.

The relatively pristine condition of the corps is an important feature.

It’s my belief that ninety five percent of the confederate dead in that sector of the field had been stricken on the second day of the battle. To have moved their corpses after several days of exposure to the heat of a Pennsylvania summer would have been an unspeakably revolting task.

The moving link you posted about that yankee lieutenant , played by Stephen Lang, testifies to the survival of badly wounded men who clung to life for a day or two after the battle had subsided in that sector.

Might it be that this confederate had been one of the relatively few who were hit in that region of the battlefield on the third day, who survived for another day until he succumbed to loss of blood and exposure ?

Exsanguination delays decomposition.

No doubt about it : the likeness to John Rutherford Ash is very compelling.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC