User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
1st N.H.artillery.
2/8/2021 10:16:04 AM
From the Boston Globe. July 3, 1912.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
1st N.H.artillery.
2/8/2021 10:29:50 AM
Hey Larry,

Looking at this monument, do you think it could be argued that Picket's Charge could of had a much better chance of success if it wasn't for Union artillery! How important do you guys think artillery on days 2 & 3 was at Gettysburg?

Thanks,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
1st N.H.artillery.
2/8/2021 2:06:25 PM
Quote:
Hey Larry,

Looking at this monument, do you think it could be argued that Picket's Charge could of had a much better chance of success if it wasn't for Union artillery! How important do you guys think artillery on day 2 was at Gettysburg?

Thanks,
MD

Massively important, in my opinion, Dave.

The three great “ burg” battles of the war - Sharpsburg , Fredericksburg and Gettysburg - were all panoramic, fought on relatively open ground, and were defined in large part by the deployment of artillery on the most advantageous ground.....the so called “ gun lines”.

Nowhere more so than at Gettysburg , and never more so than on days two and three.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
1st N.H.artillery.
2/8/2021 3:33:01 PM
Had it not been for the AOP artillery PIckett/Pettigrew/Trimble may have had a slim chance of success on July 3. My guess is the artillery so reduced and demoralized the ANV troops making the assault that this accounts for the small number actually reaching the Union lines.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
1st N.H.artillery.
2/8/2021 4:11:43 PM
Larry,

Here's something that I've said before, but I reckon it merits repetition.

Of all the units that participated in the PPT advance, Kemper's brigade of Pickett's division was the most heavily punished in the artillery fire that raged before the actual attack began.

When the advance commenced, it might be that nearly two hundred of Kemper's men had already been killed or wounded by the long range cannonading.

This had such a demoralising effect that the brigade was the first in Pickett's division to fall apart and retreat.

Kemper's command had the fewest casualties of the three brigades in the division : I attribute this to the fact that the demoralisation caused by the preliminary bombardment was such as to cause the brigade to break quickly, and fall back before the heaviest of the close quarters combat got underway.

Garnett and Armistead's men, relatively slightly hurt by the long range yankee artillery response, retained their resolve and pressed home their attack, thereby taking the worst of the close range musketry and canister, with a casualty list to prove it.

I think that this demonstrates the trope that artillery frightened and demoralised men more than it killed.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC