MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
An artilleryman's account of LRT and Hazletts role.
2/12/2021 10:04:27 AM
From the National Tribune. August 2, 1894.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
2/12/2021 12:19:00 PM
Larry,

That's a good article !

It tells us how the participants of the battle were anxious to right the wrongs they saw in the different accounts, thirty years after the event.

I wonder how far away those confederate sharpshooters were. They shot to kill, that's clear. The battery lost more men killed than wounded, which speaks of carefully aimed fire, as opposed to the random shooting that wounded many more than it killed.

Regards, Phil

"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
2/12/2021 4:44:53 PM
These articles should never be taken as gospel truth. Many vets had been to too many reunions and GAR meetings and heard many speakers and read many articles about things they had no first hand knowledge of. Soon a soldier who was sick in a D.C hospital and never put one foot in front of another headed to Gettysburg could recite word for word what his company, regiment and brigade did in the battle. Problem is trying to sort out the windbags from the true participants. And 30+ years clouds the memory for everyone.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC