User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
A soldier dead twice.
2/21/2021 9:24:54 AM

From the Elyria Democrat, Elyria Ohio. February 21, 1889

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
A soldier dead twice.
2/22/2021 2:17:18 PM

Hi Larry,

That's freaky, makes you wonder who is buried there? Also why didn't the soldier try & have the head stone changed? Now days with most people getting cremated, you wonder how many new headstones will there be on a percentage basis??

Carry on great CW scribe,
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
A soldier dead twice.
2/22/2021 3:07:42 PM

What a fantastic story !

I checked his name on John Busey’s database of Union dead from the battle, and he’s there, sure enough, cited as being wounded on 2 July and dying on the 5 July, but then the citation states that he was discharged in September 1864.

The 91st Pa lost only three killed and two mortally wounded , which makes the mix up harder to understand .

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
A soldier dead twice.
2/22/2021 3:52:49 PM

Quote:
What a fantastic story !

I checked his name on John Busey’s database of Union dead from the battle, and he’s there, sure enough, cited as being wounded on 2 July and dying on the 5 July, but then the citation states that he was discharged in September 1864.

The 91st Pa lost only three killed and two mortally wounded , which makes the mix up harder to understand .

Regards, Phil

Undoubtably the soldier buried in Kelly's place had some sort of I.D. on him that was Kelly's. It would seem this man should have been from Kelly's company or at least from the 91st.

Larry
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC