MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
The Charge of Baxters Brigade
2/25/2021 9:09:46 AM
Another account of Iversons brigade at Gettysburg July 1, 1863.
From the National Tribune. May 23, 1901.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
2/25/2021 10:34:49 AM
Hi Larry,

This article is so well written by Thomas L Hanna, of the National Post, ( fore runner of the Washington Post?) back when I was a teacher, I would have no problem reading it to a class, it paints that good of a picture of many aspects of the battle!
It has so many good writing attributes! The writer is excellent, definitely feel free to post other stories from him if they are available? I recommend that any of our MHO'ers to read it! It surely paints a clear picture or a synopsis
Of the battle. I enjoyed this article for not only it's good history, but it's good writing as well!

Thanks Larry,
Regards,
MD

BTW, I wonder if this guy survived, & if he became a writer of notoriety?

Also he mentions surgeons being captured, & imprisoned! It would seem they should be exempt from becoming POWs? What's your take on this??

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
john hayward
Allenstown NH USA
2/25/2021 11:23:17 AM
MD

I know of two doctors from NJ regiments who were captured. One at 2nd Bull Run the other at Chancelloersville. The one at 2nd Bull Run was an ass't and was captured while attending the wounded.Upon his return, his commanding officer want to court martial him for being too far forward. The other was returned within days of the battle but he complained that all his tools and equipment was taken from him.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC