MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
First MD Eastern Shore at Gettysburg
4/11/2021 3:03:13 PM
From the Baltimore Sun. Baltimore Maryland. July 13. 1863.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
4/15/2021 9:42:33 PM
Maryland another state that had units on both sides!

What say you??
MD
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Phil Andrade
London  UK
4/16/2021 2:15:52 AM
Quote:
Maryland another state that had units on both sides!

What say you??
MD

Dave,

More than that, these Maryland units actually fought each other in the Culp’s Hill sector !

I’ll research the details and return.

If I’m right, we can dredge up some very poignant stuff here.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Phil Andrade
London  UK
4/16/2021 7:34:42 AM
Larry,

Sad to say, the newspaper article you posted does not appear any more.

It’s certainly an interesting and poignant story, and I would love to read it again and allude to it in my effort to make a contribution here.

Regards, Phil
"Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!" "That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress." Earl of Sandwich and John Wilkes
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
4/16/2021 8:54:36 AM
Hi Phil. Try it now. Had an article disappear yesterday also.
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
4/17/2021 4:29:01 AM
Larry,

Thanks for restoring this for us.

The Maryland story of the Civil War is especially interesting, and never more so than at Gettysburg, where Marylanders actually fought each other around Culp’s Hill .

The state exhibited its own sectional divide, and I would be interested in learning more about this.

In the meantime, I’ll consult my John Busey books, and cite the data from Marylanders on both sides. Perhaps I can offer an interpretation of the casualty figures.

I wonder if the press article you pitch exemplifies the need to address the conflicting loyalties that were extant in that febrile state.

More to come,

Regards, Phil
Phil Andrade
London  UK
4/17/2021 9:29:08 AM
Larry,

Busey provides me with this information about Marylanders fighting for the Union at Gettysburg.

There were 23 Marylanders in blue killed outright, and another 12 mortally wounded. All of these, as far as I can tell, were victims of the Culp’s Hill fighting of Day 3.

Their Confederate counterparts suffered more severely, being exposed to terrific Federal fire as they attacked the formidable defences in the Culp’s Hill sector.

There were 32 Marylanders killed outright, 28 of them from the 1st Md. Bn of Steuart’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division. What is especially noticeable is the relatively large proportion of mortally wounded : there were 44 who died from wounds, 25 of them, significantly, dying in yankee hands. There were 174 wounded who survived , of whom, again , the majority ( 89) were prisoners . Only 11 were unwounded prisoners.
There is an anecdote concerning a wounded rebel Marylander who was seen to shoot himself in front of the yankee breastworks rather than be taken alive.

Taken in conjunction with the flattering testimony of the rebel prisoner who praised the way his captors treated him, these figures are susceptible to differing interpretations. Was the heightened sectional rivalry among the Marylanders conducive to a more merciless fighting, or did the men tend more assiduously to their wounded captives ? Interesting to see that the number who died from wounds in that CSA unit exceeded the number killed outright : not a usual feature.

I have been told that there was a part of Md where there was a significantly larger proportion of Catholics : was this the part that furnished the confederate ranks ?

John Wilkes Booth was a Marylander, wasn’t he ?
Editing : i’ve Just corrected some mistakes in the numbers that I copied from Busey : I wasn’t looking carefullly enough !

Regards, Phil
scoucer
Berlin  Germany
4/17/2021 1:38:32 PM
If I remember rightly, Marylanders faced each other at the battle of Front Royal during the Shenendoah campaign and Captain William Goldsborough of the 1st Maryland Infantry, CSA, captured his brother Charles Goldsborough of the 1st Maryland Infantry, USA.

Trevor
`Hey don´t the wars come easy and don´t the peace come hard`- Buffy Sainte-Marie Some swim with the stream. Some swim against the stream. Me - I´m stuck somewhere in the woods and can´t even find the stupid stream.
Phil Andrade
London  UK
4/18/2021 6:11:14 AM
The rebel Marylander gives such a precise account of what happened to his unit, 1st Md Bn, that it really excites my interest.

Our regiment suffered very much, especially in wounded. We were exposed to a most murderous fire.

About 400 men from the unit went into the battle, and more than half of them were shot. Significantly, while 28 of them were killed outright , 196 of them were wounded : note the exact seven to one preponderance of wounded over killed, a surprising feature given that “ murderous fire”.....you might have expected a higher ratio of killed to wounded. Then again, the big boulders and the large number of trees afforded cover, which might have afforded a better chance of survival. What is remarkable, though, is that 41 of these wounded died, a high mortality rate even for that war. More significant still, more than half of these mortally wounded men died in enemy hands. This despite the warm testimony of the writer to the good care received.
I wonder if this might be because the yankees were sympathetic and were quick to retrieve the badly wounded rebels and look after them as they were dying. This might account for the relatively high number who were recorded as died from their wounds....they were brought in and died under care, rather than left to die on the field and be consigned to the killed.

Note how assiduously the author names the unwounded prisoners : he cites 8 names, from a total of 10 that were captured.

Regards, Phil

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC