MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
June 9, 1863
6/9/2021 9:35:12 AM
From the Wisconsin State Journal. Madison Wisconsin.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
June 9, 1863
6/9/2021 4:00:57 PM
Hi Larry,

I notice this Wisconsin Unit fought at Port Hudson, Western theater of the war! Probably both sides used troops from Western states to fight out west? The logic being they would fight harder near their own states? Also logistically it makes sense?

Comments anyone?
MD

Also where did the Wisconsin Unit with the Eagle mascot fight??
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
June 9, 1863
6/9/2021 4:58:43 PM
Quote:
Hi Larry,

I notice this Wisconsin Unit fought at Port Hudson, Western theater of the war! Probably both sides used troops from Western states to fight out west? The logic being they would fight harder near their own states? Also logistically it makes sense?

Comments anyone?
MD

MD,

That appears to be true for the Confederate side, but judging by the order of battle (see link below) most
of the Union commands appear to be from the Northeast - Maine, NY, CT, Vermont, NH, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Hudson_Union_order_of_battle

Best Regards,

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
June 9, 1863
6/9/2021 8:32:02 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Larry,

Comments anyone?
MD

Again Greg made your post an easy access for everyone! . BTW your right about Union, mostly from the East!

MD,

That appears to be true for the Confederate side, but judging by the order of battle (see link below) most
of the Union commands appear to be from the Northeast - Maine, NY, CT, Vermont, NH, etc.

[Read More]

Best Regards,

Greg

"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
June 9, 1863
6/9/2021 10:26:34 PM
Thanks, MD.

I bet those guys were in for some serious culture shock, not to mention the brutal heat & bugs !

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC