MILITARY HISTORY ONLINE

User:  
Password:  

(1863) Battle of Gettysburg
Little Meadows PA USA
June 14, 1863
6/14/2021 6:07:45 AM
Mid June and the big news is still the cavalry fight at Culpepper. No one seems to be asking where Lee and the ANV are.

----------------------------------
"My goal is to live forever. So far, so good.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
June 14, 1863
6/14/2021 8:29:18 AM
Hi Larry,

This article gets me thinking about a key point in the coming GB battle, It seems that for the most part JEB Stuart employed hit & run tactics, almost pirate like? Why he's almost like Sir Francis Drake fighting the Spanish, only on dry land hitting the Union?? It would seem the way John Buford's Cavalry came into Gettysburg ahead of the AoP is more of the way Marse Robert would have preferred JEB had acted for ANV leading up to the beginning of July 1863, in Southern Pennsylvania!? Sure Stuart got wagon loads of plunder, but where did that leave Lee at Gettysburg? Meanwhile John Buford's horsemen left little doubt for the Union brain trust just what Lee's forces were up to???

What say you?
MD

Greg, Phil, & others, feel free to comment on this??
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
June 14, 1863
6/14/2021 4:44:19 PM
Quote:
Hi Larry,

This article gets me thinking about a key point in the coming GB battle, It seems that for the most part JEB Stuart employed hit & run tactics, almost pirate like? Why he's almost like Sir Francis Drake fighting the Spanish, only on dry land hitting the Union?? It would seem the way John Buford's Cavalry came into Gettysburg ahead of the AoP is more of the way Marse Robert would have preferred JEB had acted for ANV leading up to the beginning of July 1863, in Southern Pennsylvania!? Sure Stuart got wagon loads of plunder, but where did that leave Lee at Gettysburg? Meanwhile John Buford's horsemen left little doubt for the Union brain trust just what Lee's forces were up to???

What say you?
MD

MD,

Back in 2008, I was treated to a personalized one-on-one, full-day tour with Scott Mingus, primarily following the
route taken by John B. Gordon's Georgia brigade, starting from Gettysburg on June 26th; to York, Wrightsville;
and back to Gettysburg and Gordon's position July 1st on Blocher's (Barlow) Knoll north of town.

Along the way Scott would point out where JEB Stuart's cavalry had traversed along with the growing wagon train
of booty, wearing out their horses in the process. The thing that stuck out was the up & down nature of the roads in
the area, which obviously would not have been paved in 1863. No wonder Stuart was late to the ball !

It was a day I'll always treasure getting to tour the very route taken by my ancestors in the 31st Georgia Infantry.

Greg
“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
June 14, 1863
6/14/2021 6:40:03 PM
Quote:
Hi Larry,

What say you?
MD

Just my opinion but I believe after Brandy Station the AOP cavalry outshone their Southern counterparts all thru the Gettysburg campaign. The AOP mounted arm was out front skirmishing and gathering intelligence (sometimes bogus) and screening the AOP flanks. Stuart and his lack luster performance left R.E. Lee without the man (Stuart) that he depended on for accurate up to date information.
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
June 14, 1863
6/14/2021 7:29:38 PM
Hi Greg,

That would be cool to do a tour with author historian Scott Mingus, especially about your own ancestors!
I believe if I'm not mistaken Scott was once a active member on MHO?!

We surely listened when Scott posted!?
Regards,
Dave
"The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract."
Gregory C. White
Canton GA USA
June 14, 1863
6/14/2021 9:04:56 PM
Quote:
Hi Greg,

That would be cool to do a tour with author historian Scott Mingus, especially about your own ancestors!

Regards,
Dave

MD,

You are correct . Scott was one of many regular contributors on this forum 15-20 years ago when
I first found MHO. The debates would often get nasty & personal, especially if someone would present
a point that contradicted the accepted narrative of the Gettysburg battle. As a result many just stopped
posting, much to our loss.

Greg

“Any society which suppresses the heritage of its conquered minorities, prevent their history, and denies them their symbols, has sown the seeds of its destruction.” Sir William Wallace, 1280 A.D.
Larry Purtell
Little Meadows PA USA
June 14, 1863
6/15/2021 7:12:25 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Greg,

Regards,
Dave

MD,

You are correct . Scott was one of many regular contributors on this forum 15-20 years ago when
I first found MHO. The debates would often get nasty & personal, especially if someone would present
a point that contradicted the accepted narrative of the Gettysburg battle. As a result many just stopped
posting, much to our loss.

Greg

MHO lost many great members because a few were so adamant in their own interpretation of the Gettysburg campaign. After 20+ years though it's a favorite site of mine.
morris crumley
Dunwoody GA USA
June 14, 1863
6/15/2021 10:33:22 AM
When reading about the JEB jaunt...about how messengers, relaying orders to officers, would have to jostle awake the men asleep in the saddle to give them their orders. Horses were as broken down as the men. And these worn-out men and mounts were taksed with going right into a desperate fight on 3 July? No wonder they seemed to melt when Federal horsemen slammed into them.

Respects, Morris
"You are a $70, red-wool, pure quill military genius, or the biggest damn fool in northern Mexico."
Michigan Dave
Muskegon MI USA
June 14, 1863
6/15/2021 12:34:31 PM
That may be true Morris, but then again who put themselves that far from Lee's Army, that they had to come from such a distance to be involved in the attack on day 3!???

Regards,
MD

© 2021 - MilitaryHistoryOnline.com LLC